Hi, I am running Arducopter version  3.3.3 on a pixhawk v2 using a 3DR external compass/mag and a spektrum DXE 6 channel rx.  I have a dji 550 clone running two multistar 3s 5200mah 10c batteries in parallel.  I am using this uas to properly familiarize myself with operating a uav platform for my eventual remote sensing small business.  I recently flew it without a ground control station trying to calculate my maximum flight times before moving on to test some of the autopilot features and operating my sensors at altitude.  I have been battling vibration issues since getting into this business because my test copter is a relatively cheap uas vs the other one i plan on eventually using.  I have some cheap chinese RHD B2212-920kv motors with "mystery M-30" 30A Escs.  DJI 1047 props.   I have balanced the props but have been unsuccessful at balancing the motors mostly because I lack the time at the moment to give it the patience it takes to balance them.  

Anyways back to the current problem.  I was flying when i suddenly lost control of the uas, the pixhawk started flashing yellow and steadily beeping at me as it flew straight up.  I cycled my transmitter thinking it was a lost radio connection (even though I was standing within 10ft of the copter) and switched over to a failsafe flightmode.  I regained some control of the copter and landed it on the ground.  I have had trouble with vibration as i've said before, but I didnt get any toiletbowling, just a flyaway and twitchy flying.  Since I didnt have telemetry from that flight and I"m too afraid to take it out and risk another fly away, I strapped in to a table in my shop and tried to recreate the problem.  Low and behold, I got the same result.  The attached telemetry is from that flight.  Please help

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ok thank you Matt. I didnt know what I was doing here either.  Here are the requested logs.  I guess I was looking at the wrong ones, which is why I wasnt able to see any of the data I was looking for even though I still wouldnt know one thing from the other quite yet.  I'm going to upload a couple logs that I think had the same issue.  I believe one of them will be of the actual "fly away" event.  

• Personally, I flip the mode switch to cancel rtl. Say if you are in position hold, then RTL kicks in, just flip to alt hold and back to pos hold. The failsafe will keep beeping and flashing yellow, but you'll be able to control it normally (until it falls out of thr sky for lack of voktage). Alternatively, you should be able to use the sticks once the copter starts it's descent in RTL to reposition if it's coming down on your head or something.

Most people set the failsafe voltage from 3.6 to 3.3v per cell. If you run the pack all the way down you'll see a big knee in the curve where the voltage dumps. You'll want failsafe voktsge to be enough before the knee to get home and land safely. For commercial ops, we land with a 20% reserve.

I just tried checking the log out and noticed that it is a telemetry log.  If you can get the dataflash log directly off Pixhawk, we will be able to see what's up.  The tlog has limited info and very slow sampling.  

• Ok. That would make sense as I set up a battery fail safe without knowing exactly what I was going. I have been scouring these forums for the past year and a half trying to do everything right. I'm getting along pretty good, but there are many things about robotics that I'm not fluent with. This is all new to me, but I'm dedicated at becoming proficient. Thanks for your time with this matter.

What should I do to regain/confirm radio contact if I'm flying without a GCS?
  • I'm on mobile now so can't look at the log, but the yellow flashing indicates Pixhawk is in failsafe.  The climbing is because then RTL is invoked, the copter will climb to a pre set altitude (RTL_ALT).  All you need to do is switch your mode switch to get out of failsafe.  It's probably the low battery failsafe.  Please do not ever shut your radio off in order to regain control.

This reply was deleted.

Activity