Quanum Venture FPV Build

Quanum venture frame, APM 2.6 FC, NEO6M GPS, NTM Propdrive 2826 1200kv motors, 30a Afro esc's, 2650 4s Lipo, 5.8g video tx, front mounted cam, 12v ubec for fpv.

Maiden test flight up to 60% throttle and modest pitch angles. All flew and performed well despite APM being mounted slightly offset and no vibe damping. Subsequent flight at full chat revealed on high pitch angle with power on the quad swaps ends. Thanks for watching!!

https://youtu.be/RWmLYHxrKiM

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If I'm using 3S batteries do I still need a BEC to power the FPV combo or I can plug it directly into APM?

Thanks!

• You can use the 12volt supply of a 3s no problem providing all of your fpv gear is running on 12v, camera, osd and tx. Camera's can be either 12 or 5. I generally use a BEC anyway that way you get a clean supply to the fpv system also that way you can use 3 or 4s without worry that somethings going to fry. I'll do some photo's as soon as I get chance for you, just a bit manic at the moment so may be a few days! 

• No problem, it's not urgent.

Assuming all things will arrive in good order and in a timely fashion I'm planning to do the assembling somewhere mid next month. Time permitting, that is, since I'm busy at the office these days too.

• Hello,

I've ordered  an ARF version and the idea would be to use an APM FC as well. Can you please help me with some advices/photos about how to mount and set up the FC and GPS?

Also, if you have mounted an FPV set, some advice about what combo to choose would be very usefull.

Many thanks in advance!

Razvan

• Yes, I've mounted an APM2.6 on the base, mines a top connector and was a bit of a squeeze, if you havent bought your apm yet I'd recommend side connector, but either does fit. I'v used boscam ts351 tx at the rear, the aerial comes out to one side so you'll have to enlarge the baseplate hole for the aerial to exit, use a boscam rx to suit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boscam-Skyzone-FPV-5-8GHz-AV-Video-Wirele...

I used a tarot min camera as these are 12volt and a dedicated 12v fpv bec powers the tx, osd and camera

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAROT-600TVL-FPV-12V-Digital-HD-Camera-FO...

I used a min osd mounted on the base again at the side to the rear and made a custom loom to power everything fpv from the 12v bec which is connected to the main + rail on the quanum board, so it comes on as soon as a lipo is connected. I mounted an external status light set on the top rear lexon body shell so you can see the apm is armed and gps locked, this is mounted with nylon standoffs and nylon screws. The gps is mounted on genric gps mount on the top middle lexon support bar which supports the rear lexon top body

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APM-UBLOX-NEO-6m-UBLOX-LEA-6H-High-Precis...

I mounted NTM propdrive 2826 motors 1200kv which means you can run 4s lipo's and it has masses of power and reasonable flight times but if using these motors they work best on 8" props, I use carbon 8055 size. The motors wont fit unless you turn the motor mounts upside down, I then used longer bolts to mount the landing legs. I run mine on 2650 4s 25-30c lipo get about 12-15 minutes. Different motors with a lower kv and 10" props will give lesser performance and longer flight times but I like a bit of whumph. 

If you are mounting your apm on the baseplate set it up out of the model first to save keep taking it to pieces to get thge usb connected and set a channel on your tx for autotune. 

Be wary that this frame  wants to spin 180 degrees when you are flying flat out then drop the power, there is a flying styleto counteract this, use a lot of roll and a little yaw to turn when you're going berserk and it flies like a good un !! If you need pictures I'll forward. Hope this helps Regards Andy

• Thank you for the reply and info! 

If you have some photos it would be indeed very helpful.

I'm a total noob, so far I've only flown a toy grade quad, ordered this one mostly because it can be use both for FPV and AP, I think I've bitten more than I can chew but it will be an interesting challenge to put it together and make it fly.

• No, its dead easy, the APM is a cracking flight controller. Just take off and keep it in Loiter to get used to it. APM sets up dead easy but allocate a night or two or three! first time as you'll need to watch a few youtube vids to learn to set up the flight modes on your TX etc. All I use now is APM for FPV, sports and acro quads. 

• What battery would you recommend for the standard motors? Also, does it come by default with XT-60 plug, or?

I'm planning to upgrade the thing as I progress, but for start I'll keep the standard motors.

• 2200 3s - 2650 3s 10" props the 2200 lipos normally come with xt60 from hobbyking. I normally use turnigy lipo's, never had any luck with zippy's they ALWAYS end up dying, turnigys are fine nanotech even better but a bit dearer.

• Hello again!

Could I bother you by asking some photos of your setup?

I'm particular interested about the FPV powering scheme.

I've ordered the parts from your links, also the OSD is included in the bundle I've ordered with the APM module, full combo with GPS and telemetry, although sadly with top ports not side oriented :( 

Also it's supposed to have an antivibration mount, is there space in the hull for it?

PS: Not really in the hurry about the photos, the whole ensemble will probably take at least a month to arrive from China. FPV kit and APM will come from Europe but still a week or so to wait anyway.

This reply was deleted.

Activity