Radios -> MinimOSD on ground ?

I really do not see any reason why I should have the MinimOSD on the plane/copter, if I use 433MHz telemetry radios.

Can't I just connect the 5V, GND, RX to the ground based 3DR Radio, and feed the MinimOSD the data on the ground, getting a clearer OSD, that will keep displaying even when the 5.8GHz video link goes down ? For telemetry, I do not need extremely fast updates. A couple updates per second is probably acceptable.

Doing this, I wonder if I can have multiple 3DR radios listening to the same plane radio ? I.e one for my MinimOSD / FPV and another for a ground station ? Or would I have to split the signal from a single 3DR radio on the ground ?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes, you can connect MinimOSD on the ground.

I think you'll need to use single radio.

• Now you have two data streams (one via telemetry and one via video with OSD overlay).

The you'll losee one of them.

• I don't see why ?

MinimOSD is using RX only. Does not transmit. Inside the plane/copter, I use a split cable to the 3DR radio and the MinimOSD. I surely can do the same on the ground. the 3DR Radio is just a serial port "extender". I see no problems here, except that maybe the telemetry overlay is delayed too much ?

The question is, can I have 3 radios all connected to each other ? Only the one in plane + Groundstation with anything connected to TX, and the one at the MinimOSD with only RX connected  (like today in copter) ?  Or are they only working in pairs ?

Still have fallback plans, one is to use only 2x radio, one with the minimOSD + a $3 BT or WiFi serial module, which the ground station can use.

Anybody tried overlaying MinimOSD on the video on the ground in realtime ? And how is the experience ?

This reply was deleted.

Activity