RC receiver

If a rc receiver has a operational voltage of 4.8-6v would my 8.4v battery work with it? could it fry?i dont get why most rc receivers have a small voltage rating that are lower than the batteries have. I am looking at 2.4ghz transmitters and receivers and yes i know about the xbees.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• wow old thread popping up again :)
  • Patrick,

"i dont get why most rc receivers have a small voltage rating that are lower than the batteries have."

That is historical / backwards compatibility. Way back when rocks were new and I was roughly your age, R/C gear came with a little battery box that held 4 "AA" cells. "Regular" (carbon zinc or alkaline) cells are 1.5v; rechargeable nicad cells are 1.2v nominal.

4 x 1.5 = 6v
    4 x 1.2 = 4.8v

Yeah, then we got NiMH, and LiPo, etc.

Moral of this fable: be careful what standards you create; they may long outlive you. :)
  • Just going to thrown in another solution I was considering encase my ESC did not put out a safe 5-6 volts. Its also possible to use a 7805 voltage regulator. Or maybe there is a problem with doing this... Any one feel to point out a problem with doing this. Though it sounds as if its not necessary with modern speed controllers already performing this task.
  • Admin
    Partick,

RC receivers are designed to work with rechargeable batteries or an ESC/BEC which usually put out 5 to 5.2 volts. Some of the new 2.4GHz receiver can work up to 9 volts. It all depends on the make and model of the receiver. Your 8.4 volt battery will definitely fry an RC receiver designed to work between 5 - 6 volts.

Regards,
    TCIII
This reply was deleted.

Activity