RCTimer ArduFlyer V2.5 Kit Flight Controller

What is that RCTimer ArduFlyer V2.5 Kit Flight Controller compared to 3D robotics? it seems to be the same but much lower price, it should be a stupid question, but why do they have such low price?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• "And if you read the post Chris wrote, there are no factual errors"

what about this "which can destroy the board if used incorrectly (wrong fuses set). "

a wrong fuse setting can happen no matter which board you have, no matter how it is programmed,

Fact is, you really cannot DESTROY the board with a wrong fuse setting, you can temporarily stop it from working but NOT destroy it, and it applies equally to APM and ArduFlyer

Answering we don't support xyz to even the simplest attempt at discussion sends a really bad message.

• Well done u4eake - it was about time someone 'clarified' the situation.

I have been a long term supporter of DIYdrones - and no doubt will continue to be - but I'm also a discerning buyer and don't care for deliberate obfuscation.

• Hi Chris and Joe,

Sorry... I am being a noob here.. Just trying to understand your statement... "So you won't be able to upgrade the firmware on that chip without using an ICSP programmer"

Does that mean that I cannot load Arducopter 2.9 when it will be available ??? Or are we talking about some other firmware ??? I am currently running 2.8.1 and it works great... However, I have another two sets of APM 2.5 bought from DIY.

Another point... the boards that came from DIY were deep purple in color and did not come with any code loaded. The red blue and green lights were running in sequence upon connecting to the USB.

Whereas, the board from rctimer are not that deep purple in color and also came with 2.8.1 loaded... dont know why ??? Is that something that we are talking about here??? and should that really bother me as an end user ???

Thanks for your time.

• Hi Chris,

Can you help me, I searched and could not find instructions for APM 2.5 programming of 32u2 nor the hex file to program it from.

Where do I find the latest hex file to program into the APM 2.5 32u2 ?

What are the correct fuse settings for APM 2.5 32u2 ?

I have all the Atmel programmers up to AVR ONE so I would be using ISP programming using Atmel Studio 6.0.

Thanks.

I also do have an Arduflyer 2.5 which is working fine, here are the fuse settings read from the 32u2 and 2560, I have attached the 32u2 flash and EEPROM Iintel hex files read from that Arduflyer 2.5 32u2

Detected device
    Device name ATmega32U2
    Device signature 0x1E958A

Datasheet information
    ATmega32U2
    CPU 8-bit AVR
    Flash size 32 Kbytes
    EEPROM size 1 Kbytes
    SRAM size 1 Kbytes
    VCC range 2.7 - 5.5 V
    Maximum speed N/A

VCC = 5.2V

BODLEVEL = 3V0
    HWBE = [X]
    DWEN = [ ]
    RSTDISBL = [ ]
    SPIEN = [X]
    WDTON = [ ]
    EESAVE = [ ]
    BOOTSZ = 2048W_3800
    BOOTRST = [ ]
    CKDIV8 = [ ]
    CKOUT = [ ]
    SUT_CKSEL = EXTXOSC_8MHZ_XX_16KCK_65MS

EXTENDED = 0xF4 (valid)
    HIGH = 0xD9 (valid)
    LOW = 0xFF (valid)

LB = NO_LOCK
    BLB0 = NO_LOCK
    BLB1 = NO_LOCK

LOCKBIT = 0xFF (valid)

--------------------------------------

Detected device
    Device name ATmega2560
    Device signature 0x1E9801

Datasheet information
    ATmega2560
    CPU 8-bit AVR
    Flash size 256 Kbytes
    EEPROM size 4 Kbytes
    SRAM size 63 Kbytes
    VCC range 1.8 - 5.5 V
    Maximum speed N/A

VCC = 5.2V

BODLEVEL = 2V7
    OCDEN = [ ]
    JTAGEN = [ ]
    SPIEN = [X]
    WDTON = [ ]
    EESAVE = [ ]
    BOOTSZ = 4096W_1F000
    BOOTRST = [X]
    CKDIV8 = [ ]
    CKOUT = [ ]
    SUT_CKSEL = EXTXOSC_8MHZ_XX_16KCK_65MS

EXTENDED = 0xFD (valid)
    HIGH = 0xD8 (valid)
    LOW = 0xFF (valid)

LB = NO_LOCK
    BLB0 = NO_LOCK
    BLB1 = LPM_SPM_DISABLE

LOCKBIT = 0xCF (valid)

ArduFlyer 32u2 flash.hex

ArduFlyer 32u2 Eeprom.hex

• 3D Robotics

Just a warning for those considering the RCTimer APM 2.5 clone: for some reason they messed up the 32u2 firmware, and it doesn't come with the DFU bootloader (it just has some unknown version of ArduPPM flashed directly). So you won't be able to upgrade the firmware on that chip without using an ICSP programmer, which can destroy the board if used incorrectly (wrong fuses set). 

• I have two of these boards... One works ok... the other does not work right... Every sec or two the copter would

twitch... or jump...    I changed back to APM2.0 and its gone... flies great now..... Also the other clone 2.5 will not work properly when I plug in my maxstream telemetry... I don't know if its something with the 2.5 or what because it works great on the 2.0...

Eddie

• 100KM

I've got my arduflyer up and running for a while now.  It's running arduplane on a mscomposite swift II.

It has already done several missions, the longest of which a 9km mission with autolanding.  That one took 850mAh out of my 1000mAh battery, so it's about as far as can safely be flown with my config.

I followed the drone in my car with the telemetry module taped on the roof and laptop on the passengerseat with speech enabled.  Though I didn't see the drone until 500m from it's destination, I could follow it on the laptop the whole time while driving.

Anyway, the arduflyer works just fine.

I did have to reconfigure the gps though and rewire the cable.  

I have it working with APC220 telemetry modules, but a 3DR radio from rctimer is also on the way.

• Here you can find extensive guide about this clone. I powered it up yesterday - basic staff including GPS and radios work.

http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php/topic,676.0.html

• Ardupilot from 3DR and Arduflyer are the SAME. I have both of them. No Difference at all...

Infact the 3DR ardupilot is manufactured in the same factory in China. It is DESIGNED in California but productionized in CHINA from the same factory.... LOL

RCTimer's Arduflyer is the same as Ardupilot 2.5 with just the printing as Arduflyer... Rest EVERYTHING is the same. EVEN the quality of the connectors, wires etc is the same. I happen to peel off the RCTIMER logo plate from the bottom of the 433 Data radio, and it read 3DRobotics on the below... LOL

• Just got full package from them.

I haven't try it yet but boards manufacturing quality is surprisingly AmaZIng!.I'll keep you posted.

This reply was deleted.

Activity