RFD900, RFD900+ - New long range radio modem

Hi All,

I would like to introduce you to a new radio modem that we developed for very long range datalinks!

http://rfdesign.com.au/RFD900.php

Some of the key features of the RFD900 are as follows:

• Multi point and point to point link capability.
  • Long range >40km depending on antennas and GCS setup.
  • 2 x RP-SMA RF connectors, diversity switched.
  • 1 Watt (+30dBm) transmit power.
  • Transmit low pass filter.
  • > 20dB Low noise amplifier.
  • RX SAW filter.
  • Passive front end band pass filter.
  • Open source firmware / tools, field upgradeable, easy to configure.
  • Small (30 x 57 x 13 mm), light weight (14.5g).
  • Compatible with 3DR / Hope-RF radio modules.
  • License free use in Australia, Canada, USA, NZ.

These modems are designed to support long range applications, while being easy to use and affordable.  

These modems have been flying in various platforms and have demonstrated excellent performance in real applications. 

RFD900 modems are now available at: http://store.rfdesign.com.au

Support within APM planner and the radio configurator from Michael Oborne is already available.

It works seamlessly with APM planner, all radio Mavlink parameters are available.

Update, December 2014:  The RFD900+ with improved specifications is available now at:

http://store.rfdesign.com.au/rfd-900p-modem/

Seppo Saario

rfdesign.com.au

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would also love to see a version with 868 Mhz.

• A new modem is in the works with PCBs in transit back to us. 

Some brief specs:
    Compatible with RFD900/3DR/Hope RF based modules.
    AES128 encryption, hardware accelerated.
    128kB Flash/8kB RAM
    2 x u.fl antenna connectors (diversity switched)
    New LNA, RX SAW filter, TX low pass filter
    DF13 8 way connector, with 2 x user programmable IO.
    18.5 x 29 x 4 mm size including shields.

Antenna wise, we have some new FLEX2 antennas available in the store. They are designed to stick onto vertical surfaces, giving vertical polarisation. Using a FLEX1 along with wing, or fuselage and FLEX2 on the fin will give the best diversity coverage on small airframes.  :)

• Seppo, can you shoot me a PM with a generic "how to" on setting up the PTZ directly to the RFD900? Im assuming it is an RS485 to UART converter that I need?

• I just bought these radios recently and I'm having a really difficult time getting these things to work with the PX4 in Mission Planner. I have a post in the forums if anyone can help. http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/rfd900-px4-will-not-connect-in-mp...

The latest Firmware and initial setup seems to be working but then the radios break their link and no longer connect after trying to connect with them in the Mission Planner. I'm itching to use these things and I've followed as much instructions as I could find.

• Hello!

To make the most out of the RFD900 diversity performance - we have another flex PCB antenna out soon.  Having a horizontally polarized flex antenna on the wing/fuselage (RFDANT Flex1), and a vertically polarized flex on the vertical stab/ winglet (RFDANT Flex2), will give the best diversity performance with minimal drag.    Performance is around 2dBi with wide radiation patterns.  They are designed to operate on foam/film/balsa and thin fiberglass surfaces.  They both will be available in quantity around the end of July! - Will keep you posted!

Seppo :)

• Seppo, got a question. I have recently purchased a pan tilt zoom dome camera that uses RS 485 for communications. I plan on using a panda board ES on board the airplane to do payload commands and communications with the camera via a RS 422/485 converter. The thought is that I could remotely access the panda board from the GCS using the RFD 900 to drive the pan tilt and zoom functions of the camera. Is this feasible or do I need another solution? Im new to all this computer and data stuff, so please forgive me if I sound a little out there.

• And I thought this day couldn't get any better :) Now I can run the my payload GCS independently with the joystick interface... SWWEEEETTT!

• A multipoint software solution for the RFD900 and it is now available for download! :)

We have tested it in house, and have not seen any issues, but, being a new release, make sure it works well in your application.

The user manual / datasheet can be found here : RFD900 Datasheet

RFD900 configuration tool: http://rfdesign.com.au/downloads/

RFD900 binary firmware repository: http://rfdesign.com.au/firmware/

Key things when upgrading current modems in the field are to correctly set the number of nodes in a network, the NODEID, and to make sure there is a base node in a network NODEID=0. The user manual should describe the options, but if unclear, let us know!.

We have tested 2 APM planner sessions controlling one aircraft and it works well! - Each GCS is updated simultaneously and able to issue commands.

Note: Please be careful with multi GCS and APM planner as it has not been tested a lot. One area that is expected to be sensitive is flight plans at the moment, I expect two GCS stations trying to update a flight plan at the same time is *BAD* until it gets looked into a bit more.

Serial throughput is improved and retention of sync is also better.

Any comments, likes!, or issues, please let me know!

Seppo :)

• I'm about to by the RFD900 2 radio kit. It will used onboard my high altitude balloon (30,000m) connected to a px4fmu+io. Do you have a recommended antenna setup for this? would the 2 yagis from your site 90 degree polarization for the ground and the 2 dipoles that come with the bundle for the vehicle suffice? Im new to all this so thanks for any info you can provide.
  • Awesome. Is it compatible with the ArduStation with a bit of soldering?

This reply was deleted.

Activity