RFD900, RFD900+ - New long range radio modem

Hi All,

I would like to introduce you to a new radio modem that we developed for very long range datalinks!

http://rfdesign.com.au/RFD900.php

Some of the key features of the RFD900 are as follows:

• Multi point and point to point link capability.
  • Long range >40km depending on antennas and GCS setup.
  • 2 x RP-SMA RF connectors, diversity switched.
  • 1 Watt (+30dBm) transmit power.
  • Transmit low pass filter.
  • > 20dB Low noise amplifier.
  • RX SAW filter.
  • Passive front end band pass filter.
  • Open source firmware / tools, field upgradeable, easy to configure.
  • Small (30 x 57 x 13 mm), light weight (14.5g).
  • Compatible with 3DR / Hope-RF radio modules.
  • License free use in Australia, Canada, USA, NZ.

These modems are designed to support long range applications, while being easy to use and affordable.  

These modems have been flying in various platforms and have demonstrated excellent performance in real applications. 

RFD900 modems are now available at: http://store.rfdesign.com.au

Support within APM planner and the radio configurator from Michael Oborne is already available.

It works seamlessly with APM planner, all radio Mavlink parameters are available.

Update, December 2014:  The RFD900+ with improved specifications is available now at:

http://store.rfdesign.com.au/rfd-900p-modem/

Seppo Saario

rfdesign.com.au

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am wondering why I am not getting any help on this thread? Is it only for the advanced users?

• We have been using RFD900 and RFD900+ radios on the ground stations and RFD900U radios on the hexacopters for some time now.  We have never had any problems with either.  The RFD800Us are so small and light that you can tuck them up inside the frame,where they are protected from physical abuse.  Love the U.FL connectors, too.  We use these printed antennas on the landing gear - https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex-llc/1052620003/WM96...

• Seppo, have you guys found any solution to my problem with the spourious frequency emissions?

Best regards,

Rafael

Seppo said:

Hi John,

Have replied to your email.. Arranging a replacement for you.

Hi Dennis,

The RFD900 modems will be around and supported for as long as there is demand for them. 

The only feature that has given a hard time has been the AES implementation on the 8051 based chipset on 900+.

There was an update post regarding it some pages ago I think.  Essentially, we do have an implementation of it available, but, the serial throughput is not good enough for general use.  The hardware does support AES, but the software, (which is open source), does not at the moment.  We have released the current work in progress in a branch on https://github.com/RFDesign/SiK/tree/AES .

Regarding warranty support, there are a few standard things to test/try.  Generally a re-flash will correct any firmware issues, but in the event of a hardware failure within the warranty period it is replaced.  The only things that generally aren't covered are things like putting 12V into a 5V radio, or damage caused by digging it out of the ground after an inflight incident--

Best wishes to all from Brisbane,

Seppo :)

• Hi John,

Have replied to your email.. Arranging a replacement for you.

Hi Dennis,

The RFD900 modems will be around and supported for as long as there is demand for them. 

The only feature that has given a hard time has been the AES implementation on the 8051 based chipset on 900+.

There was an update post regarding it some pages ago I think.  Essentially, we do have an implementation of it available, but, the serial throughput is not good enough for general use.  The hardware does support AES, but the software, (which is open source), does not at the moment.  We have released the current work in progress in a branch on https://github.com/RFDesign/SiK/tree/AES .

Regarding warranty support, there are a few standard things to test/try.  Generally a re-flash will correct any firmware issues, but in the event of a hardware failure within the warranty period it is replaced.  The only things that generally aren't covered are things like putting 12V into a 5V radio, or damage caused by digging it out of the ground after an inflight incident--

Best wishes to all from Brisbane,

Seppo :)

RFDesign/SiK
    Tools and firmware for the Si1000 - Si102x/3x. Contribute to RFDesign/SiK development by creating an account on GitHub.
  • The hardware certainly appears to be high-quality. Whenever I get new electronics, I like to put them under the microscope and have a close-up look at the assembly.. these look flawless to me. (Compared to other products I've seen.. ) I don't see any cheap components or sloppy work. I don't mind that in this case one of them has a defect. As long as it's taken care of.
    Also, my order was shipped immediately and went out the same day. The antennas are the nicest I've seen in quite a while.

Once I get a reply (via email) and make sure we're on all on the same page -- we all want to love the product; I would like to discuss, in a new thread of course, some of the other issues that are not at all unique to RFD, as I mentioned I went with the RFD modems after my original choice wasn't what it claimed to be - I had spent a lot of time considering what the best solution was for my project, then weeks to decide what to do.

So, I'll post again later with a link to the thread, and I hope to make it a positive thing and it is not, absolutely not, directed at any particular maker/seller/developer/manufacturer.

g'day mates

IMG_1633.JPG

• Hi,

Just to make sure the thread represents the state of the product. We have around 30 to 40 of these and they all work absolutely great. Very high quality and no one is defective. The only issue we have is that you have to run the RFD868+ with the MP firmware and then RSSI logging is not supported yet but the manufacturer is working on solving it.

• understand...   a couple of years i tried to buy a couple of these and go ZERO response over months from the only source i could find.  i got a bit discouraged to say the least.   to hear that the product in hand by the previous poster doesn't have the advertised technical features is rather unsettling.  that's all i am saying.

Paul Meier said:

I own 4 of them radios and have absolutely no complaints, Please also note that this thread has 44 pages and probably IS REPRESENTATIVE of the product

Dennis Okeefe said:

i have designed your product into a project for search and rescue and will be buying the product in the next few weeks.  i HOPE this thread is not representative of the product or your technical support level.  i can't afford to have these "not work"....

dennis

Seppo said:

Hi John,

I received your message a couple of hours ago.  It does look like you have received a modem that has issues.

Our field failure rate is very low, but, unfortunately failures can occur with almost any product.

Regarding errors in documentation, feedback is always welcomed and incorporated.

I am arranging a replacement modem for you and apologise for the inconvenience caused.

With best regards,

Seppo

• I own 4 of them radios and have absolutely no complaints, Please also note that this thread has 44 pages and probably IS REPRESENTATIVE of the product

Dennis Okeefe said:

i have designed your product into a project for search and rescue and will be buying the product in the next few weeks.  i HOPE this thread is not representative of the product or your technical support level.  i can't afford to have these "not work"....

dennis

Seppo said:

Hi John,

I received your message a couple of hours ago.  It does look like you have received a modem that has issues.

Our field failure rate is very low, but, unfortunately failures can occur with almost any product.

Regarding errors in documentation, feedback is always welcomed and incorporated.

I am arranging a replacement modem for you and apologise for the inconvenience caused.

With best regards,

Seppo

• i have designed your product into a project for search and rescue and will be buying the product in the next few weeks.  i HOPE this thread is not representative of the product or your technical support level.  i can't afford to have these "not work"....

dennis

Seppo said:

Hi John,

With best regards,

Seppo

• Seppo said:

Hi John,

With best regards,

Seppo

Hey there, oh I'm so relived to hear back! I've had some rather unpleasant experiences recently.
    I just sent another message to you at the same time, so no need to duplicate here..
    but I want others reading this to know that I'd be happy to create some high-quality documentation for the product, if you have no objections.
This reply was deleted.

Activity