RFD900, RFD900+ - New long range radio modem

Hi All,

I would like to introduce you to a new radio modem that we developed for very long range datalinks!

http://rfdesign.com.au/RFD900.php

Some of the key features of the RFD900 are as follows:

• Multi point and point to point link capability.
  • Long range >40km depending on antennas and GCS setup.
  • 2 x RP-SMA RF connectors, diversity switched.
  • 1 Watt (+30dBm) transmit power.
  • Transmit low pass filter.
  • > 20dB Low noise amplifier.
  • RX SAW filter.
  • Passive front end band pass filter.
  • Open source firmware / tools, field upgradeable, easy to configure.
  • Small (30 x 57 x 13 mm), light weight (14.5g).
  • Compatible with 3DR / Hope-RF radio modules.
  • License free use in Australia, Canada, USA, NZ.

These modems are designed to support long range applications, while being easy to use and affordable.  

These modems have been flying in various platforms and have demonstrated excellent performance in real applications. 

RFD900 modems are now available at: http://store.rfdesign.com.au

Support within APM planner and the radio configurator from Michael Oborne is already available.

It works seamlessly with APM planner, all radio Mavlink parameters are available.

Update, December 2014:  The RFD900+ with improved specifications is available now at:

http://store.rfdesign.com.au/rfd-900p-modem/

Seppo Saario

rfdesign.com.au

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, Seppo:

I received a pair of RFD900+ and tried to upgrade firmware from v1.11 to v2.3, but no success, and I sent several mail to RFDesign customer support no reply  bad service,

following is Modem tool message window, is there anyone here can help me out to solve this problem?

===========

Uploading to port COM35

Connecting to COM35 at 57600

Trying autosync

Sending +++

Sending ATI

Sending AT&UPDATE

Got sync

Board 82  Freq 91

Using 24bit addresses

erasing..

programing..

HOME

verifying..

done..

New firmware has been uploaded

-----Loading settings to port COM35-----

Connecting to COM35 at 57600

Sending +++

Sending ATI5

Reconnecting using default Baud Rate

Sending +++

Sending ATI5

Failed to load settings. Please try again

========================================

• Hey Seppo, any news on RCink?

My RFD900u set up works a treat, but I have another project that would benefit greatly from the RCLink.

• Anyone having troubles connecting to their computer?  After two years I'm getting "usb device not recognized".  Manually DL's the FDTI driver which will allow me to connect, but the next time I plug it in I'll get the same message.  The only difference is now I'm using Windows 8.1pro instead of Windows 7.  Happens on both my laptops.  Last mapping job I did I has to switch to a 3DR modem, drastically cutting my range down.

• Hi Seppo,

I’ve just received the RFD900 warranty replacement and free antennas

Thank you very much

I have a 8kg octocopter and I try to get the best range possible with your RFD 900 Modem

On the octocopter, the two antennas are separated 40cm and I can place on on vertical polarization and the other on horizontal polarization

I have no problem of weight on the octopter, I can even place a 100 grams antenna, or a 40cm antenna

Now I have 3x 2dBi antennas, 2x 3dBi antennas and the RFDFELX antennas you’ve sent to me

My question is what kind of antenna should I use on the octocopter and on the base station to get the max range possible ?

Do you think that this kind of antenna could improve the range: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&a... ?

My last question: when I use the 30dB setting for rf power, I see that the RSSI is decreasing, I got half the RSSI  than with 28 or 29dB power, do you think that the 500mA USB powering is the cause ?

Thanks

• Do you think that the Pixhawk supply enought amps for RFD900 at 30dB on the telemetry port ?

Do I have to use a UBEC instead of the telemetry port supply ?

• Pixhawk won't supply power to your modem.  Pull the jumper and power with a bec.

• I power mine from the pixhawk as well no problem. 

• I also have Pixhawk powering up the air radio. I'm getting ready for 1st test flight and a newbie but the RFD900's are connecting and I've saved a flight plan with the modem connected to telemetry port. I can't speak to whether it will be as powerful without external power.

This reply was deleted.

Activity