Rotowing Design

Hey Guys, 

I'm working on a new project, I call it the rotowing (still working on the name...).

In essence, it's a wing airframe with a VTOL via quad rotor. The back props rotate to provide lift during take off, and forward thrust during flight. 

Anyways, I'd love some feedback! 3691101944?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Barrett, looks like a fun project. You may get some additional ideas by using this page to review the many UAVs that were announced or mentioned In DIYD blog posts from January 2013. For example, if staying with a fixed-wing, there is this blog post and this blog post. If thinking about a multi-rotor, there is this blog post. And this page may also save you some time finding reports about relevant UAV performance. There may also be some worthwhile links on this page. As usual, there are plenty of comments to consider!

• you might want to extend the rear motors on booms to get them into clean air when in vtol mode, and i see another problem is that the air pressure differential will be lost in fwd flight by the holes in the wings. maybe slide plates over them, so the pressure does not bleed through, losing massive lift?  differential thrust could help with yaw during fwd flight.  and consider making the rudders taller, and not sticking out the bottom as much if at all.  this will improve spiral stability.  this is one of the cleanest concepts i have seen lately.   have you seen the quadshot?  it does not bother to tilt anything at all, but is far from perfect. best wishes. 

• Thanks for the feedback Spike. 

Booms are a good idea. I'll definitely look more into that. 

As for the holes in the wings, there will be a plate that slides over them. It's illustrated in the top right corner. 

I'd be interested in learning why rudders that are not sticking out of the bottom help with spiral stability. 

I have seen the quadshot, and some reviews of it. It looked a little tricky to fly. 

• it did look like a handful. 

the height of the lateral area aft of c.g.  is one of the larger factors determining spiral stability, along with moment, and total area. there are also other factors such as planform, particularly the leading edge, and dihedral/polyhedral angles, and vertical c.g. as a general rule, keep the rudder high, and it will help.  this is my design, meant to optimize spiral stability without sacrificing efficiency.  prob not a good candidate for vtol, though.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8hpn7SDRpQ

best regards, spike

• That's a sweet bird you've built Spike! 

Thanks for the detail on the rudder. 

The trouble with the quadshot method is how do you handle the transition to forward flight autonomously but I agree its better than cutting holes in wings.

This reply was deleted.

Activity