Skywalker X8 Powerplant

I'm asking for POWER-PLANT suggestions for a specific X8 or Zephyr (not sure yet; waiting for info from Chris of RightWing RC) build:

- The wing will be laminated which will add additional weight but the majority of weight will probably be the adhesive; the laminate will weight about 5-8 ounces.  (Zephyr ii will be normal laminated weight).

- I will need an autopilot system possibly Ardupilot, DGPS, Tellemetry etc. and additional items.

- Belly mounted "CS type" camera, and a forward looking mini high res camera.

I need advice for a power-plant setup for this specific load-out:  I'm obviously looking for reliability and ability for slow autonomous flight.  An hour flight capability would be more than enough; I'm guessing 30-40 minutes would do the trick.  I'm looking for a weight distribution that is very stable also. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated! 

PS I will be contributing with a new laminating processes when I get my airframe situated. I'm also interested in a method to reinforce the wings of EPO foam for the X8 and Zephyr II/XL; wondering if I can upgrade the carbon tubes and specific methods of laminate application to strengthen the wing overall. 

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The man you want to talk to is Daemon (Ian) on RCGroups. There is a great thread there on the X8 with lots of laminating advice.
    • Thanks boss!

• Consider laminating only the first 1/3 of the X8 wing starting at the leading edge. This will add the strength you need, keep it lighter, and most importantly keep the CG from shifting too far back. The majority of the wing area is behind the CG.

You should go for a large prop and low KV combination for endurance. With a large prop you should use a launcher to save your limbs.
    • Hi iskiss,

I'm wondering if laminating the forward 1/3rd of the wing will cause the wing material to distort? Have you done this before? I have checked the weight of the material I plan on using and I don't believe it will add enough weight to outweigh the benefit of the durability? The X8 wing has .8 meter of surface area, Im not sure if this measurement is top or bottom or both sides of the wing? Each .8 meter of material will weigh 3.4 ounces added to the weight of the adhesive. Im not sure which adhesive will be best for EPO? I'm considering Gorilla Glue as recommended by Right Wing RC.

Thanks I really appreciate your reply, do you have any particular motor you would recommend?
This reply was deleted.

Activity