Sony RX100iii as aerial mapping camera

I am looking for feedback on using the Sony RX100iii as an aerial mapping camera. Currently we use the Canon SX260 with occasional blurred shots and lower-res/quality than we would like. The RX100iii looks like an excellent replacement but I am hoping for some feedback before making a purchase.

Thanks!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Esben,

Thanks for your reply. I found a video that shows how to trigger Sony Rx100 m2 using an chinese gadget, but I saw in this video that the cable have 6 wires and not 4 wires like mine. So, yes, the problem is my cable, it's a normal USB Micro B cable.

I'll try to found an sony multiport cable here in Brazil, but it'll be difficult.

Thanks

• Hi,

I'm very interesting by the answer of @Reuben.

I have two cameras for my Iris+, one Canon S100 and Sony QX 100.

My problem is for trigger QX 100, is it really possible to trigger this cam with USB port?

The camera have a "A/V Remote Terminal: Multi/Micro USB Terminal*6 , Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0)"

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Sylvain from France

• Bonjour ! 

Yes if you have the multi port on your camera .. you can use my cable to trigger the shutter ..also depending on the camera .. you can also get video out to a screen on the ground .. but this requires two more wires attached to the S2 plug .. 

Salute 

Reuben

• Hi Reuben

I had the chance to try out a QX100 and I plugged at Sony remote trigger into the multi port. Didn't work unfortunately. Works fine one the RX100. Have you had any luck with this the QX100 camera?

Best

Esben

• Hi ,, I don't think the QX100 has multi port .. just has standard Usb .  I think Shutter is only working with phone app ?

• I think you are right :-) It could have been a nice camera for aerial work...

• Why dont you hot wire it ?  attach the remote trigger direct to the shutter button contacts ?

• Yes sure, it's just nice to be able to interface with it the "right" way :-) But I'll bring out the soldering iron..

Thanks

Esben

• Hi,

Here the specifications of QX100:

https://developer.sony.com/devices/cameras/sony-smartphone-attachab...

Apparently, there's a multi port USB.

This camera would be perfect for aerial mapping, only 180 gr.

It should disassemble the camera and soldering wires, but i'm not an expert for this.

Sylvain

• Forgot: The connection is the full 15 pin multi port, so maybe....

This reply was deleted.

Activity