Last year I guess I lucked out and bought a 6' piece of 3/4" square tubing from Lowes that was a bit thicker walled than the 3DR arms, but now when I have been to several Lowes stores the same SKU# is 1/16" (.062") thick walled and feels so much heavier.  I measured the wall thickness of the 3DR arms and it's ~.037 (1mm), the stick I bought from Lowes last year is .050, and all I can find now locally is .062 or thicker.  I found two places that advertise .050 walled 3/4" tubing (Wicks and Spruce aircraft) but wondering if anyone can help me find something as thin and light as what the 3DR arms are made out of?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I found this 3/4" (18x18mm)light square tube aluminium here in Phnom Penh Cambodia of all places....where I live now.
    Some local aluminium/glass fabricators uses it here....as its thin and cheap for these poor countries.
    With out the glass I could pick up a standard aluminium window frame with my pinkie and toss it.
    This 18x18mm seams light at about 81 grams per meter length or about 0.055lb/ft long...I think??
    Its quite thin about 0.6 - 0.7mm wall thicknes (1" is 25.4mm/36= 0.7mm) ..I assembled 6 pieces and it measured under 4mm thick so about 36 pieces is 1" thick so 1000/36 = 0.028" or 28 thou thick ....I think???? Im all metric.
    Anyway its really thin yet very rigid...I tested a piece 600mm (2ft)long and hung it over my bench top 500mm and it easily supported 6kg without it snapping and it only flexed about 10-12mm with a 1.5kg weight and it flexes about 5-6mm over 500mm....good enough for me.

I believe its a standard soft aluminium from past experience cutting it yet its very rigid due to the box shape and it doesnt twist.
    Hard to know where it comes from....maybe china I would guess because its cheap here...so maybe alibaba.com is a place to start.
    If you guys fail finding some I could get a big box full cut up to your specific lengths and posted and paid by paypal or whatever to help you out.....international postage $ OUCH....but spread over say 10 multirotors using it wont matter I guess.
    Rather odd country here...I mail order everything as I can not get the simplest of things here..and carbon fiber is just a pipe dream.....but I can get this light aluminium :)
    Cheers
    Kingsley

image.jpg

This reply was deleted.

Activity