strange quad behaviour when in drift mode

I am trying out the drift mode. So far it gets me all disoriented. In stabilise mode all if fine, but when i switch to drift mode, the quad responds very different than what i would expect. It directs its nose to a certain forward position and the any aliron would be behaving strange, like I am losing control: a left also gives a big yaw turn. I know drift mode should control your yaw but I think this is way too much turn, to the point where i was wondering if my transmitter might be reversing the channels once on drift state (i checked on mission planner, its not). 

I am uploading the logs (ignore  the crash at the end, focus on the drift and loiter modes). If anyone can make some sense whats wrong, I would be grateful. 

Cheers

Shay

2014-02-03 09-29.kmz

2014-02-03 09-29.log

2014-02-03 09-29.log.gpx

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• since its been a while, I should update on the progress.

i did set it to DR 60% which helped a lot with controlling the quad. it became much smoother flight. to anyone setting up a quad from scrath, I highly recommend this, and would also advise to actually include this as part of the wiki for initial setup (maybe a section like recommended RC TX setup section?)

the strange behaviour issue is still there. I noticed it happens on loiter mode as well, which leads me to believe its a compass / GPS positioning issue. I would further investigate to see if playing around with the GPS orientation help, would report here once I have a better understanding of the situation. 

• I am using the latest Mission planner and Running AC 3.1 but cant find Drift mode ? anyone can help?

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/where-is-drift-mode

• pls dont hijack the thread 

• My response was RELAVENT to the question asked by RIZKI and totally still valid to the subject as "Drift" mode is new and has some bugs.. GEEZ your an *ss. Further more my respondse puts your question back at the top of the cue rather then 4 pages in!

Since I too am experimenting with "Drift" mode I'll make sure if I figure out a solution to your issue I'll be sure to NOT respond to you with an answer. 

• haha. I actually responded to Rizki comment, not yours. 

if he has issues about mission planner, he should open a separate thread. take no offence. chill man.

• I had same issue. I needed to re upgrade several times to finally get it to appear. 

Drift mode gives yaw AND roll in response to the roll stick, yaw stick does nothing.

I found it odd at first having flown heli's and being used to using yaw a lot that it had became natural. In drift mode don't try move side to side, just "drive" it like a RC car with one stick.

This reply was deleted.

Activity