Supersonic, I'm going to do it.

Yep, you heard me right, I'm going to build the world's first supersonic RC plane, almost doubling the world's present RC speed record. Reason why I'm doing this is to get the attention of the aerospace industry so that they might consider me someday.

Yes, I know the technical challenges will be enormous, but that is why I am doing this, to demonstrate what I can do. Plus it will finally be a chance for me to put my degree to use.

Now the biggest challenge will be finding a place for me to actually fly supersonically, not that every flight has to be supersonic. I am aware that when airplanes travel at that speed a sonic boom is usually created. However, since this design will be smaller, so will the sonic boom.

Another concern of mine will be heat, as air friction compresses the air, heating it up. The temperature I estimate I will reach will exceed the maximum of some of the components, so I will need some sort of cooling mechanism, and just fans won't cut it.

Now I know some of you may have alarming concerns, but if you calmly address them with me I will address them. I'm posting this here because I may need advise for the type of parts I need and other recommendations you may have.

Aerospace V logger out.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for posting that link, i just lost half an hour of my life i'll never get back reading the comments.  Dear god there are some special people out there!

• This is the most absurd discussion EVER!

If V Logger can make JUST an liquid fueled engine, with fuel supply, weighing < 10 Lbs, that can burn for one minute, with a static thrust of > 50 Lbs, and exhaust velocity better than 1600 MPH... I'll throw $10k at the project...

Oh yea, I wanna see the EDF as a compressor...

• This is the most absurd discussion EVER!

Try me.

If V Logger can make JUST an liquid fueled engine, with fuel supply, weighing < 10 Lbs, that can burn for one minute, with a static thrust of > 50 Lbs, and exhaust velocity better than 1600 MPH... I'll throw $10k at the project...

It won't be entirely gas, it will be gas/electric hybrid.

Oh yea, I wanna see the EDF as a compressor...

And what is so impossible about that? Is there any theoretical physics reason why that can't be done? If you are going to suggest it would get in the way at high speed keep in mind I'm using a diffuser.

• You don't need theoretical physics.... it's quite simple really.

1) An EDF can't get you to the speed required for a ram jet to sustain ignition.
        2) An EDF is not designed for compression, and will never be able to produce the compression required.

There is only ONE type of fan that can create the compression required in a single stage, and it's a centrifugal compressor. If it were possible to create that much compression with a single axial stage, we would be doing it on full scale.
        • 1) Let me rephrase this yet again. Imagine a jet engine without a turbine, and instead the compressor is driven entirely by electricity. Everything else is the same. I don't expect the EDF ALONE to reach supersonic speed, that is what the burners aft of it are for. It won't be supersonic at first but once the EDF is running AND the burners are lit, and enough time for acceleration is given, I might just have a chance. I just compared it to a ramjet because I thought it would make it easier for you to understand, but I guess that didn't work.

2) I thought the faster you go the less power a compressor would need. Don't the compressibility effects add to the compression the faster you go?

• Oh I wish there was a like button!

That Eflite EDF must provide what, 2:1 compression? Should be plenty to ignite!

• I'll reply to your other comments later. For now let's focus on the engine.

Imagine a RAMJET, but not quite. The only difference is that there is an electric fan near the front to provide static thrust. Other than that it would be identical to a ramjet. And yes their air will be slowed down as it flows through a diffuser.

Still think it's crazy?

• Total cost to break the sound barrier twice? Something like $260,000 and counting.

• One mission with a foam Stinger 64 TIED the current record at like 489 MPH  "AS A GLIDER!" Without even trying. It's going to happen soon :)

Count on it.

3702519594?profile=original

• Why Ethanol?  ...   Jet fuel , Kerosene , diesel  have greater energy densities by weight & by volume.

This reply was deleted.

Activity