Tailless UAV design

Hi all!

I am currently working on my thesis, that revolves around the design of a tube launched UAV. I have been researching literature for a while now, and have fixed my interest to build a flying wing prototype that could fold its wings to fit into the tube (3ft long, 5 inch dia). 

Still an amateur at RC building, any valuable insight / sources / references , would be great.

Best.

GB

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Take a look at the Raytheon Cayote UAV. You'll find many pictures online to get ideas. I'm not saying it's a good design, but it's one of the few tube-launched UAVs that have pictures online available for the public.

• I don't think there are any hobbyists who have built a tube launchable plane. If you google "tube launch uav" you can find a bunch of commercial designs. I think most use a spring mechanism that holds the flying surfaces against the fusealage. An exception is Maveric - the elastic wings are wrapped around the fuse --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prioria_Robotics_Maveric

For some reason many/most/maybe all of the tube launchable planes seem to have a tail. Maybe the authority of the tail is needed during the launch to cruise transition.

I you should first figure out a fairly robust mechanism for deploying the wings.

Prioria Robotics Maveric
    The Prioria Robotic's Maveric is a single-man portable and operable, immediate launch capable, unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) designed as a high-perfo…
    • Hi Martin

Thanks for the reply. Yep, I have covered pretty much everything I could get my hands on during the lit review. 
      I have done aerodynamic analysis, to get my airfoils, sweep, washouts etc. Thats all sorted. 
      I have been researching heaps of locking mechanisms, out of which torsion springs seem quite favourable. The search is on though.

• Could you post a drawing or an image of the 3D model of the airframe?

This reply was deleted.

Activity

Neville Rodrigues liked Neville Rodrigues's profile
Jun 30
Santiago Perez liked Santiago Perez's profile
Jun 21
More…