UPDATE:

Spent another evening capturing some footage on the farm of cultivating this time. Wind picked us slightly causing some unwanted yaw wobble in the shots but overall im very pleased.

Take a look, I hope you will enjoy it:

After many months of trial and error and budget building I have finally ended up with footage worthy of a youtube upload!!

I am extremely pleased with the results I am now getting using my home designed hexacopter built from plywood and aluminium box section:

3691149204?profile=originalI am running a hobby king apm 2.5, cheap 20 a esc's and even cheaper hobbyking dt750 motors.

the gimbal is my own design and uses a Martinez board (That took about 2 months to tune!!!)

Here is the video I shot of farming in Yorkshire and I hope, like me, you will be quite impressed with the results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O57pZUvoN8

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Another piece of youtube worthy footage!!

Plans of third axis stabilization are in the works to try and get rid of the yaw "swaying" when the wind picks up a little!

• Great video and nice copter design, that is a good DIY example!!

• Thanks!
      It actualy folds down, 4 of the booms hinge into line with te other two making it easy to transport :)
      http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UUvqIkAo4CY
      This video I made for a project shows it at the beginning.
      YouTube
  • MR60

Nice considering the costs. It would be nice to share about your plywood gimbal and suspension system if you have any details/conclusions to avoid vibrations ? What did you tune for 2 months ?

• The martinez board from hobbyking comes with very bad PIDs and is notoriously sensitive to small changes and tuning. I spent months using the GUI altering the settings holding the gimbal by hand even before I got rid of self enduced oscillations ect. and bothered to mount it to the hexacopter. I came very close to giving up at times but it's payed off now! :)

I have tried many different methods of vibration for cameras even before I built a gimbal.
      Four of these rubber "balls" seem to work but I did find the wight rating for the balls affected the results a lot.
      I can find out what the rating for the balls I'm using is if you like?
      • MR60

Yes please  thx

• The ones I'm currently using that work the best are rated at 100g.
          Previously I had eight rated at 80g each and I got reasonable results but still some jello.
  • Nice job, great footage.

• The only thing you might want to revisit in your design is the camera suspension. It looks like the camera hangs off the plate using the rubber mounts. A better design is where the camera gimbal is attached to the top plate and the bottom plate is attached to the airframe. This way a failure in the rubber mounts does not put the camera in danger of falling off. Nice work both in the multicopter and the filming.

This reply was deleted.

Activity