Tarot Gimbal and protecting GoPro lens

I am getting a Tarot Gimbal and want a protective lens cover to protect the gopro's lens in case of a scrape in a crash. Since the Gopro lens is not replaceable want to prevent damage to it. With other set ups I fly it in the waterproof case and know nothing will happen to the camera that is not easily fixed. Some of the 3D printed ones look flimsy. What are any members best solution to protect the Hero3 plus lens when used with the Tarot Gimbal?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The top screwhole is partly obscured by the lens protector so I don't think that would work. You would also need a longer screw which may be hard to source (it looks like M2).

I did consider simply gluing the protector to the retainer using CA glue but was worried that the image would then by partly obscured by the protector projecting in front of the GoPro lens.

andy
    • I hate gopro. I literally cannot stand them. I sent them a note today to see what they do if you get a scratch "Buy a replacement camera" 

I thought it was a joke, nope... LOL

• Just wanted to add my own experiences here for anyone else who is trying this and runs across this thread.

What you need to realise is that the standard GoPro protector is a friction fit device that relies on the fact that the GoPro lens casing is tapered. This means that the standard Tarot T-2D retainer prevents the protector seating properly and therefore will not work out of the box. However, the friction fit of the lens protector is actually pretty tight when it works - aided by some soft rubberized coating on the protector - and you can actually get the protector to work well by cutting the back off it. This is harder than it sounds as the protector is pretty fragile and you don't want to scratch the lens, but I managed it with a little patience and a baby hacksaw. You basically need to cut the protector at the point that the outside begins to rapidly taper (so removing about 4mm). With this done the fit is still really snug and secure and I am very happy with the result.

Here's a picture:

3701925297?profile=original

and here's a picture of the back of the protector besides an unhacked version:

3701925447?profile=originalAll in all a good result. I also bought one of the cheaper chinese imports off amazon (about half the price), which looks identical but does not have the soft-touch rubberized coating so I am doubtful that the fit will be so secure.

Layer lens was not available in the UK and I don't like the idea of replacing the secure tarot retainer with velcro!

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks

andy

• Thank you for the information I will try this approach. If the screws for the blue part of the clamp was longer would it work to put on the go pro lens protector then put the blue piece over it and long screws to hold it all together. I bet the hole is not big enough either. 

• David, my $0.2 below:

Make sure your setup for the Tarot motor is high enough to avoid gimbal balancing issues. I tried using a Polarizer filter (from "PolarPro") and i got a lot of vibrations. I also had to add some tape around the Gopro3 lens housing to increase the friction during flight. I am now starting to fly 3axis FeyuTech gimbal which so far looks like can take the extra weight towards the front of the camera.

If anyone knows a god PID setting for the Tarot Gimbal with a filter please weigh in.

• Sergio thanks i will experiment with tape

• It looks very good. the Layerlens is very clear.

• 3701904628?profile=original3701904877?profile=originalDavid here is my set up hope this is helpful, i cut the original gimbal mount and modified this to front mounting set up. Works  very well for me.

• This is real beauty you have got. Amazing

• I just installed the Layerlens as well for the Tarot 2d. I've also placed adhesive-velcro (industrial 3M stuff) to bind the strap of the layer lens to the gimbal backside (to prevent he gopro from sliding out sideways).3702539266?profile=original

This reply was deleted.

Activity