Tricopter spin.

I've built a Tricopter. The radio is calibrated in Mission Planner, the Esc's are calibrated. Prop configuration, right prop, (Pusher) ran clockwise, the left prop and tail prop (Regular) turned counter clockwise. No luck? I tried all different prop configurations nothing worked? Anybody have any ideas what is causing the Tricopter to spin?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Chris,

The radio wasn't active, it needed to be programmed. Went into Mix to set the parameters/switches. (Still have a glitch though.) Can't toggle through all Flight Modes, supposed to be able to toggle between all 6 Flight Modes, but right now, can only toggle between 2 of them. Also can't arm the APM. Going to have trace the settings to find out what's wrong...

• Alright! I have the radio programmed and can toggle through all the "Flight Modes". *Arm the APM.* But the rudder servo on "Output 7" is not working? There is power going to it, because it twitches when the APM is 1st armed. But as far as getting to move on command from the radio it does nothing?

• Hi Joe,

so when your Tricopter is 'disarmed', the green bars for Radio IN 1,2,3,4 move according to your stick moves and toggle switch changes Radio IN 5 and displays the desired flight mode ?

When you arm it, Radio IN as above and Radio OUT 1,2,4 move ?

When in Stabilize and rolling to left, the left motor speeds up and the right motor slows down and vice versa ?

When in Stabilize and nose down the front motors speeds up and the rear motor slows down and vice versa ?

Only yaw servo doesn't work ? Maybe you should look in Config/Tuning at RC7_Function.

Watch out to check correction direction/motor speed for manual input AND in stabilize. Manual is usually corrected with TX servo reverse and Stabilze with APM i.e. RC7_REV.

• Hi Ultrafuge,

Even though the Green bars respond to the stick movements in Mission Planner. When the Trocpter is armed the motors just throttle up and down. There is no variable speed in them?

DIY posting.jpg

DIY posting 3.jpg

DIY posting 2.jpg

• Hi Joe,

please follow the instructions of the wiki.

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/connecting-your-rc-input-and-motors/

You must have a correct setup in Radio IN:

#1: Radio IN 1 must move when you move your roll/aileron stick on the TX.

#2: Radio IN 2 must move when you move your pitch/elevator stick on the TX.

#3: Radio IN 3 must move when you move your throttle stick on the TX.

#4: Radio IN 4 must move when you move your yaw/rudder stick on the TX.

#5: Radio IN 5 must move when you operate your mode toggle switch on the TX and the selected mode name must be displayed.

NO other bar must move when you operate #1 - #5. As long as you are Disarmed, Servo/Motor OUT will not move. When you are Armed, Servo/Motor OUT 1,2 and 4 will move.

Your pictures say and show you try to use channel 6 instead of 5 for the modes.

Picture 3 says, that right AND left stick move Radio IN 2 -- for sure wrong, as only pitch/elevator should move Radio IN 2.

Picture 3 says, that left stick moves Radio IN 1 -- for sure wrong, because aileron is on right stick in Mode 1.

Please set up a new aeroplane model in your TX without any mixing and other special effects. You can use the 3-position-switch to select between 3 modes if you don't need 6 modes. Make sure you get the points #1 - #5 working as supposed, because unless the basics are correct nothing will work !

• Hi Ultrafuge,

Okay – Pins 1, 2,3,4,5 that are coming out of the receiver module on the Tricopter, are connected to Pins 1, 2,3,4,5 on the Input side of the APM/ARDUCOPTER.

On the Output side - Pins 1, 2, 4, are connected to the 3 ESC’s, Pin 7 is connected to the  Yaw/Rudder servo.

The Radio Calibration setup in MP: When I move the *right stick* Up or Down -Throttle and Radio 5 respond. And by moving the *right stick* left or right Yaw responds, and up and down *Pitch* responds.

Now in FailSafe – Radio 2, 4 respond by moving the right stick which is the *Throttle* on the TX. And by moving the right stick - either right or left - Radio in responds.

The left stick when moved up or down Radio 1 responds. And by moving the stick right or left Radio 4 responds.

The mode used to calibrate the APM on the Tricopter was ACRO/AIRPLANE. (Not Heli).

And thanks for the assist...

Joe

• Hi Joe,

the good news:

The mode used to calibrate the APM on the Tricopter was ACRO/AIRPLANE. (Not Heli).

On the Output side - Pins 1, 2, 4, are connected to the 3 ESC’s, Pin 7 is connected to the  Yaw/Rudder servo.

These settings are correct.

The bad news:

The Radio Calibration setup in MP: When I move the *right stick* Up or Down -Throttle and Radio 5 respond. And by moving the *right stick* left or right Yaw responds, and up and down *Pitch* responds.

I guess you wanted to say:

The Radio Calibration setup in MP: When I move the *right stick* Up or Down -Throttle and Radio 5 respond and for left or right -  aileron responds.

And by moving the *left stick* left or right Yaw responds, and up and down *Pitch* responds.

On the Failsafe there is the left column for the 'Radio IN' signals(bars) and the right column for the 'Servo/Motor OUT' signals(bars). The number of the bar is written under the bar (i.e. first left green bar is therefore Radio 1 not Radio IN). With this in mind you say:

Now in FailSafe – Radio (2) 3, (4) 5 respond by moving the right stick which is the *Throttle* on the TX. And by moving the right stick - either right or left - Radio (in) 1 responds.

The left stick when moved up or down Radio (1) 2 responds. And by moving the stick right or left Radio 4 responds.

Just to make sure I understand you:

You want to fly in Mode 1, so your left stick is yaw(rudder) for left/right and pitch(elevator) for up/down and your right stick is roll(aileron) for left/right and throttle for up/down.

In this case you have a RC problem, because throttle is on Radio 3 AND Radio 5.

You can verify this by putting a servo on RX channel 3 and RX channel 5 - do not connect the APM. If you throttle up and down and both servos move, you have to find the mistake in your RC.

As soon as you have a clean channel 3 (= no channel 5) response for throttle you should setup the mode switch for channel 5 and verify it in 'Failsafe'. Usually the fastest way to a clean output is creating a new model.

• Hi Ultrafuge,

(Checking it one more time.) I read that your supposed to program in ACRO/Plane to be able to program the APM and fly a Tricopter, not Heli mode.

Okay, when I'm hooked into Mission Planner, and the Tx is in ACRO/Mode 1 and I move the right stick on the radio either up or down in radio calibration, both the Throttle and Radio 5, (Green Bars) respond at the same time.

Switch over to FailSafe...

WOW just noticed! I read FailSafe wrong. Radio IN is just the title of the column. Radio 1 through 8 listed. Radio In doesn't move, It's Radio 1 underneath it.

Anyway, when I'm in FailSafe, and I move the right stick up or down, Radio 2 and 5 respond. (Blue Bars) move together. When I move the right stick left or right. Radio 1 responds, (Blue Bar) moves.

Now switch back to Radio Calibration and when I move the left stick up or down. Pitch responds, (Green Bar) moves. Then moving the left stick left or right, the Yaw responds, (Green Bar) moves.

Now switch over to FailSafe - moving the left stick up or down, Radio 2 responds, (Blue Bar) moves. Now moving the left stick left or right, Radio 4 responds. (Blue Bar) moves.

Now the other column in FailSafe Servo/Motor Out, Radio 1,2,3,4 nothing responded when I moved the sticks on the transmitter?

Also, I only have one servo which is plugged into pin 7.

I'm also wondering if my pc is causing any issues? Its wireless, and I've noticed that when I working with Mission Planner that it will start buffering? I don't have a dedicated laptop for programming the APM...

Now to check the servo by putting it on channel 3 to see what happens?

• Hi Joe,

(Checking it one more time.) I read that your supposed to program in ACRO/Plane to be able to program the APM and fly a Tricopter, not Heli mode.

Correct you must not have any mixing between channels, therefore use the most primitive setting to get one and only one channel output for moving aileron, elevator, rudder and throttle.

I move the right stick on the radio either up or down in radio calibration, both the Throttle and Radio 5, (Green Bars) respond at the same time.

Anyway, when I'm in FailSafe, and I move the right stick up or down, Radio 2 and 5 respond. (Blue Bars) move together.

As I told you several times, the throttle must not move Radio 5 !!! I hope you want to say 'Radio (2) 3 and 5 respond'.

Aileron, Pitch and Yaw are o.k.

Now the other column in FailSafe Servo/Motor Out, Radio 1,2,3,4 nothing responded when I moved the sticks on the transmitter?

That is correct because you see 'Disarmed' (read my previous posting) on Failsafe screen. After arming you see 'Armed' and 1,2,4 (not 3) are moving.

PC is no problem as long as you can connect with MP to APM.

Once again, get your TX manual and set up a new model without any mixing. Make sure your RX doesn't mix any signals !

3702938922?profile=original

• Nothing happen with that servo? Just twitched when it was first plugged in?

This reply was deleted.

Activity