Trying to get stable hover mid-stick

Hi!

I recently built a Hoverthings Flip FPV quad that is using the APM2.5 (v3.01)with the external mag/compass. The specs on this build are:

Tiger Motor MN 3110-26 470KV 3-6s Motors
Tiger Motor 30A Pro 400hz OPTO 2-6s esc's
Tiger Motor Carbon Fiber 10x4 bolt on prop's
Turnigy 9X with er9x firmware
This setup is running on a 6S lipo, and I am using a CC 10amp BEC to provide the apm with power.

I have done all the calibrations, compassmot was 3%, vibration levels are good.

This thing flys great, plenty of power, very responsive, however I am having one problem and that is trying to maintain and sort of hover in stabilize mode.

What happens is I am at half throttle and my quad will want to ascend slightly most of the time, when I ever so slightly lower the throttle it will start to descend. I have also tried setting different throttle expo settings which does not make any difference that I can see.

I am looking into the t-motor esc's, maybe something there with the default settings? The specs on them are:

Output: Continuous 30A, Burst 40A up to 10 Secs.
Input Voltage: 2-6 cells lithium battery
This is the Optical version !
Size: 45mm (L) * 24mm (W) * 11mm (H).
Weight: 25g.

Features:
Extreme low output resistance, super current endurance.
Multiple protection features: Low-voltage cut-off protection / over-heat protection / throttle signal loss protection.
Start modes: Normal / Soft / Super-Soft, compatible with fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters.
Throttle range can be configured and is fully compatible with all transmitters currently available.
Smooth, linear and precise throttle response.

I have to get some logs together but I do know that in either alt hold or loiter mode, she holds steady great, no up and down, just steady.

Is there anything else I can check for ?

Thank You

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have the same problem and so far i have changed the throttle mid point to 450(45%) on mission planner and it stays longer in the air and today i am going to change my throttle curve in mid point on my turnigy 9x to see if i can resolve this problem.

Will came back with results to try and see if we can resolve this problem.

• I was going to post the same thing tonight! 

I have quadframe hexa with 880kv HengLi motors with 1147 props. I'm using 30A afro escs from HK and a 3S lipo (5000mah). Apm 2.6 and a Hitec Aurora 9 with optima 9 receiver. 

I've done the calibration a few times but will try again I guess. 

Has anyone made any other progress?

• Hi Charley,

Sorry to hear that the accel calibration wasn't the ticket.

I see you are using a Turnigy 9X. That is the same radio I'm using. Please post your results if you get a new radio.

A post showed up recently about a FrSky Taranis radio. It looks pretty interesting. If you missed it here is the link to the post:

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/welcome-to-taranis

• There is a YouTube video that shows the yo yo affect. One of the comments stated that "You have to calibrate the accellerameters in v2.9. Did that and wow awsome performance...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3shOCH0Dq1A

I re-calibrated my accelerometer using the method outline in this video by Randy MacKay.

https://vimeo.com/56224615

I'll post my results tomorrow.

• I'm using APM 2.6 with external GPS/compass kit and I'm having similar issues with a DJI F450 with stock motors and ESC's. It's like a yo yo.

The sticks seem overly sensitive to me.

This reply was deleted.

Activity