Hi,

I got a problem, perhaps somebody is able to help me. I made the following configuration:

3691139650?profile=originalIn this configuration only motor 1 is running. When I disconnect the lower power supply motor 2 is running. Why is this happening? I use 4s batteries, 20A ESC Model 30020 and A-2830/12 motors.

Thank you for any response,

Gerd

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Joe,

I got the graphics here:

http://2bfly.com/knowledgebase/electronic-speed-controls/multi-engi...

The ground in my case is connected by the common ground of the power supplies. So in fact the ground of the power supplies should be shown connected. To connect additional grounds creates ground loops.

Gerd

• I would second Joes opinion. The second ground is definitely required. I'd begin by swapping escs to see if the problem follows.

Also, once both grounds are connected as needed, you will need to recalibrate the escs if you originally did it without the signal ground on one of them.
            • Hi Scott,

Like I said in the reply before the ground of the power supply is connected. So I don't see a need to connect both grounds of the BEC's, because both grounds in the ESC and BEC are connected.

Am I right?

Here is the correct layout:

3702869614?profile=original

• I would not assume that the battery negative is the same as the BEC ground.

On a somewhat related note, I would consider connecting the batteries in full parallel; i.e., tying the +s and -s together (with high current wiring/connectors).   This is how I usually do multi-battery setups, and I think it's most common.

To diagnose this, I'd selectively remove and swap components to identify the issue.

Start by simplifying the circuit by using just one battery powering both ESCs, and  connect both signal grounds.  

Swap ESCs - does the problem follow the ESC or the side of the Y connector it's connected to?   If it follows the Y connector, than that is the problem.   If it follows the ESC, then that or the motor is the problem.  Swap Motors in that case to determine if it's the ESC or the motor.

• Hi Scott,

"I would not assume that the battery negative is the same as the BEC ground"

If you measure the resistance it is 0. So according to my opinion it is connected.

I tried all your other proposals but there was no effect.

I think that it may be necessary not to connect the radio receiver directly, instead using two optocouplers with an y adapter. May be that helps. But the question is if one channel of the radio receiver can drive two optocouplers.

This reply was deleted.

Activity