Developer

UAV Generated Point Cloud Classification

Ok, so this may be a more advanced topic than normally found on this forum. But I am struggling to classify the point clouds generated with the UAV. After Pix4D, after Agisoft or others you are left with an unclassified point cloud If I want to classify the buildings, vegetation, and ground points so I can then generate a DTM. How is everyone doing this? What software have you used, what settings? 

The main problem I have found is that most point cloud manipulation software is designed for LiDAR, and LiDAR has one thing we do not have, multiple returns. So for them clasifying the ground is a matter of getting the last return and then just cleaning up the buildings. But most of these don't work so well with the point clouds from Pix4D, Agisoft, etc... I have tried LASTools, ESRI, and recently DTMaster. Any other suggestions? or suggestions on the settings to use?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think I figured it out. When I setup my home position I didn't have the MP connected to the X-8 so it assigned an arbitrary value for the elevation. Newbee stupidity :)

Regards,

Robert 

• I am just getting into point cloud classification. I am using Agisoft. They have a built in GUI for doing this. It is done by taking the lowest point elevation in a user defined cell and applying a masking angle to that along with a max height. I have successfully generated A DTM on an open area. Big whoop right. I am currently trying to build a DTM in a wooded area with leaf-off conditions. I will let you know how it turns out.

A little background about me and my rig. I am a professional land surveyor. Armature UAV pilot. I think I have had more crashes than successful flights. I am flying a Turbo Ace controlled by a Pixhawk. I am using a Sony A7r to capture images, and a Leica GS14 deferentially corrected GPS to acquire ground control points.

I am curious: what are you using to classify your points. I think this is where the future is.

• Developer

I have tried a bunch of programs LASTools, DTMaster, And ESRI tools, but I have not gotten good results yet. Also there are a lot of parameters you can adjust on some of these tools and I may not have the right settings yet. So I keep trying.

• Jaime,

Would you be willing to share a dataset? I'm a photogrammetrist/remote sensing pro and currently researching the UAS market for reliable 3D acquisition. Let me know if interested. We could benefit.

This reply was deleted.

Activity