Unexplained "Fly Away"?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzl71kz5ezk49bi/00001.MTS?n=23012835A friend of mine was flying his Pixhawk equipped quad over the weekend and had a strange thing happen. Firstly, He was flying in an inappropriate location for a loiter flight (in a narrow corridor of trees) and with a high HDOP (average 2.17). Right before the 6 minute mark in the flight, the copter just banked to its left and started trimming trees and mowing grass. I believe the cause for the crash was poor HDOP and the loss of a Satellite (dropped from 8 to 7) but I would just like to verify that this was indeed the reason for the crash.

Here is a video of the crash: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzl71kz5ezk49bi/00001.MTS?n=23012835

The log file is also attached to this post.

Could someone please confirm that this was indeed responsible for the crash and if so, why the GPS Glitch detection did not activate if it was? It really looks like a fly away which I have never seen with an APM or Pixhawk before.

Thanks,

Oliver

2014-08-01 19-19-51.log

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Hi Oliver,

I uploaded your flight to our droneshare service: http://www.droneshare.com/mission/12423 and ran the analyzer.  This tool is very young and might be incorrect but it generated warnings about high vibration and poor compass calibration.

• Nice analysis tool Kevin.  Is the tool open to anyone using droneshare?

• Developer

yep!

• MR60

How does it work? Clicking on the link opens a google map with a red pin!? Tried to click all over with nothing displaying !? Is it supposed to be so complicated or simply not compatible with a nexus 7 tablet?

• 3D Robotics

you probably need to scroll down a bit to see the the analysis button, we haven't made much focus on supporting tablets yet, so let me know if theres anything you would change :)

• Hey, Ramon

the analysis tool is a great idea. Thank you very much. I will test it more accurately in the next days.

Thank you very much for this great tool.

• First you need to open an account. Then you can upload a logfile in your settings. Therefor klick on your name on the right side of the top. Go to your profile. There you can input a new vehicle. When you do that, you can upload a logfile.

i am sorry for my bad english. If you have any more questions, i will make some screenshots for you.

• Yes it is. I've tried it.

• No, GPS is not to blame, you can see the track looks just as in the video.  - If it went "that fast" to the "left"  - the logged position would be a good bit to the opposite direction.

Your compass offset, however, is HUGE.

Also - vibrations on X axis were very high, if you felt it "pulled" towards the trees as if "thought" it was level, and wanted to tilt - that could also be the reason.

• Is this diagnosis correct?

This reply was deleted.

Activity