Hello all!

I wanted to start a thread on what motors everyone believes are the seem to be the most robust as a reasonable cost? 

Lets put a limits on say 50$ max per motor and preferable much cheaper.

I have had 7 motors go bad in the last 9 months, with the problem being that the inner bearings break when the prop touches the ground at all. Even a semi light touch can break the bearings it seems. Any sort of lateral pressure from the prop seems to send these guys to their grave.

Most recently I lost 3 motors from 15ft in the air when I had a unexpected flip tuning. I was able to completely throttle down before the hex hit the ground but this didn't help at all. The props were not even damaged in this case at all!

I have been using the NTM propdrive motors and while they are cheap and easy to replace, Im wondering is there are motors that are more robust and allow for the changing of the inner bearings if they start to go.

The inner bearings in these appear to be pressure fitted to the point of non-removability.

• Do other folks have similar experience with their motors?
  • Are there motors that are more repairable?
  • Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get these pressure fitted bearings out?
  • What does everyone think about using more expensive repairable motors vs. just buying cheap ones and junking them when they start to fail

Thanks everyone!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have been using Emax GT2218 & 2216's and you can change bearings to ceramic or just replace them cheap. I get 8-10 min flying times with 20A esc's and a 4200mah lipo. This is on a modified carbon fibre 450 size FPV quad with an auw of 1.6kgs w/ cameras. If I could afford Roxxy motors I would go that route then Tiger motors or even the black Sunnysky 2212-16's.

Not sure Roxxy flight times but they have better manufacture than many cheaper over numbered motors like 2830 RCtimer types.

S

-Good consistant motors make learning a lot easier and symptoms from speed fluctuations don't have you blaming the FC as much. O unless you have no gyro and accel signal APM 2.5 vrs like mine. :o)

• I use Roxxy 2827-34 750kv with 10x4.7 APC for some years now. They are about 25€ / motor. They have a lot of power and held up so far.

But I guess the next ones are cheap and from hobbyking. Don't pay to much. Just buy 750kv or less.

• Finally found the thread even though the link in the email sent me to a page not found ...hhmmmmm

Glad some one brought this subject up, as it has vexed me for some time.

I purchased a JDrones preTested Hexa with their 880 motors and during the inevitable flips and tip overs, especially on landing - pre 2.9.1, have gone through 5 motors.

I also purchased a second hex power set and another 4 spare motors and asked JDrones for some bearing sets, which they promised at first, stalled after a while, then ignored the request totally. This was annoying as the bearings in their motors are not the same each end, one is readily available, the other is not.

After some searching I found rcbearings.com who can supply just about every bearing you might need.

The other issue with the JDrones motors is the lack of a shim under the circlip on the end of the shaft. This results in a number of problems including : circlip riding on bearing outer race causing wear and drag, even slight lateral impacts causes the circlip to dent the bearing shield impinging directly on the balls resulting in drag and short term bearing failure. The centre shaft is held in the bell by one small grub screw that is not always secured.

I built another 2 hex's, one using hyperion motors, the other using OS motors.

Neither of these are <$50 but I have had little to no issues with them, (little means that after a crash one of the OS motors had noisy bearings which are easily replaced, all 3 of them) and that is why I spent the extra money for quality motors.

Have followed the same principal with batteries.

If you shop[ for cheap you WILL get what you pay for.

Rc Bearings.com: high quality, low cost bearings
    Rc Bearings.com: high quality, low cost bearings
This reply was deleted.

Activity