Replies

• Just a little anecdote on this subject.

I found a problem last night putting the APM inside a small closed cardboard box and mounting over the ESC/RX on my Redcat Crawler for the ArduCrawler project. The only thing in the box was the AMP/IMU, MediaTek GPS and 900Mhz Xbee.

If the box was placed 1-2" above the RX/ESC, I got very bad servo jitter on my wheels.  If I moved the box a few more inches away it was fine. 

I took all of the components out of the box and placed them directly on top of the ESC/RX and received no jitter.

I'm assuming this was XBee interference related, having it mounted inside the closed box.

• Developer

You should try to leave bottom as open as possible, you can cover it with foam but air needs to be able to flow inside as easily as possible.

Another problem with fully sealed boxes is heating, electronics heats, box heats and that changes temperatures inside the box, temperature changes will affect on accelerometers and gyros too along with other components.

So if planning to fly on winter time, you should try to make sure that temperature inside the box stays as same as possible. Naturally small changes does not affect so much but still.

To have a really accurate gyro/accelerometer values, some people even calibrates and corrects their gyros on every 5 degrees. Do we need that on ArduCopter..... Well maybe no, at least on this point but sure that is an option too :)

• The baro sensor needs a connection to the outside. The rest will be fine.
This reply was deleted.

Activity