yaw with no stick input

On my second test flight I noticed that the copter was slowly turning without me applying any rudder input. During the first flight this was not the case.

Also, when I switched to circle mode, the front of the copter did not point to the centre of the circle during the rotation. During the first flight it did point to the centre.

I am enclosing a graph showing the yaw values. During the circle, the yaw value stays at 150 degrees. I would expect it to vary between 0 to 360.

Any ideas why the change in behavior between the 2 flights?

yaw.PNG

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OOkay, I probably found the cause. Motors were running something like 1250 and 1750, just on the limit of the "yaw_headroom" parameter. This explains why it would turn left and not right, it was struggling to stay in one place / orientation. As to why it was so out of balance... no idea.

• Well, I tested again.

Sadly I can only fly on weekends. The issue persists, I only found that it turns left only, and not right. I can arm and disarm just fine, re-calibrated the radio before flight. I think I'm going crazy... :(

• First check the stick on the radio to see that it is recognizing your input of full left, centre and full right rudder. My radio has a graphic and numerical display so I can see the value (-100, 0, +100). Double check with Mission Planner on the Radio calibration page to see the PWM values for the rudder are changing as expected when you move the stick.
  • I have the same issue! (or very similar)

After take off in manual mode, about 10s into hovering at low altitude, I keep losing yaw control. It just starts drifting and won't react to rudder stick. But only yaw, roll/pitch and throttle are fine. Logs show that RC4 was recorded OK, I can even see where it still had input and where it was lost.

Gonna try recalibrating... hope this wont be a recurring problem

• I recalibrated the sticks on my radio and also in Mission Planner.
    After 2 more test flights, the involuntary yaw has stopped :)
This reply was deleted.

Activity