Best use of UAV for potatos (and best UAV overall)

I've been researching agricultural UAV's overall but im looking for the best benefits on potatoes;

I want to divide this post on 4 different topics that i have not been able to find on any specific site:

1.- best UAV: I believe we do need to consider several aspects:

- fly at least 100 acres per flight (around 50 hectares for us at any metric system country :P) (heli or winged?)

- probably be able to flt 100 mt + heights (to be able to take the least possible pictures at the best possible resolution, remember we are making desitions on this info)

- be Rough enough to withstand harsh conditions (will probably be landing on dirt and such)

- automated UAV for ease of use.

2.- imagery: basically which camera should we use?

- i keep working around 4 different cameras: an RGB combined with a NIR to make NDVI analysis... a Multispectral (which i understand does the same thing but with better red spectrums) thermal cameras and finally DIY modified cameras (like GoPros)

- which camera would do the job? is it worth it working with a camera worth a couple thousend of USD??

3.- Post flight software: i keep going back to pix4d but i find it so expensive so i dont know if agisoft is enough? or maybe look at companies like agribotix for analysis?

4.- real life Use and benefits: i believe this would be the best topic of all: can we really monetize the agricultural UAVs?

- pre sowing work

- during crop analysis (i believe a frequent fly would give enough comparison to take desitions based on this images)

- real life scenarios in which you have beneffited from flying a UAV over your fields :)

i hope this discussion is not so extense that we have to divide it on 4 different topics but please advise...

BTW english is not my first language so sorry if i am writing something wrong :)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Indeed, it is pretty bad. A matlab algorithm was used.

What would you recommend?

• Well, at the risk of self promoting as well as turning the DIY thread to a marketplace, www.agpixel.com 

pic1.png

Data Collection and Processing Services - AgPixel
      A provider of image processing for use in aerial mapping products and agricultural services.

Every stitching service has the ability to compare their best results with competitors worst results. Do you offer a free trial? 

• Mario would love to give you a free trial for our service at www.harvesting.co. Email me a dropbox link with your images and will revert back with results info@harvesting.co

Heading out for a test in a few minutes. I'll try to get you a set tomorrow morning. 

• Not to competition 

• I thought this forum was all about collaboration.

• I totally agree with you :)

i hope we collaborate more than compete... 

Isn't everybody on these forums potential competition for you, if you're providing data collection and processing services? 

• wow, it does help a lot!!! 

most of our fields are around 50 Ha, so i think i will be going for a winged system... do you know anything about the lehmann la300?

ive been looking over and over but being my first UAV im scared of taking a wrong decision lol...

also, do you only fly over green fields? or do you pre sowing flights?

thx

Lehmann Aviation | Utility Drones since 2005
      For more than 10 years Lehmann Aviation develops and manufactures ultra-rugged and cost-effective utility drones for the most demanding missions arou…
This reply was deleted.