Replies

• I traveled with some folks from the United States to Costa Rica in March. We had something like 6 quads with us and it went smoothly. Here's what we did:

• Tools and props went in the check-in bags. Anything long and pointy in carry-on will likely be confiscated. I placed these items in a box on top of my clothes so they don't dump my bag if they want to check things out.
    • Quads were packed in our carry-on bags along with the transmitters. Security in Costa Rica checked out my radio after seeing a jumble of wires in the X-ray, but they were fine with it when they knew what it was. 
    • Batteries were limited to (i believe) 100Wh per hand bag, all connectors individually insulated and packed in Lipo bags. I wrote the Wh on my Lipo bags. Check your airline's website for  exact regulations on batteries. That way if they hassle you, you can show them you're knowledgeable and are following their guidelines. 
    • We had letters in Spanish from the organization we were visiting in CR explaining what the stuff was and why we had it. 

Also, don't be scared or become defensive if you're asked about the equipment or what you're doing with it. Two ways to make any situation go south quickly. 

Good luck!

• 100Wh...  Guess that's why my last batteries from China were labelled 6s2200mah.  When actually they were 8s22ah packs lol!  Not fudging too much, 750wh is close : )  I would never try anything like that though.  I'll try to get 4s10ah's on which is way over.

• Thx Muhammad

• I've flown within Canada with a UAV:

From my experience it's safe to carry-on batteries (in a fire-proof lipo bag). Don't take too many batteries or else you may encounter some security issues with Transport Canada. Sometimes its safer to ship your batteries because you probably don't want them confiscated.

They made me power the DJI P2V+ on as I went through security. (probably to check if it is an explosive)

Make sure you don't have any sharp tools... GL
    -Keith

• All your allen and screw drivers will get confiscated as well.  Pack them in your checked bags.

• I take the small ones with interchangeable heads/drivers, I haven't had a problem with them yet - travelling between Australia, New Zealand and USA (Hawaii)

• The number one rule is carriage of LiPo is as cabin baggage where the hazard can be dealt with. 

Lipo's for drone must not ever go in the hold of the aircraft.

• I've travelled to Mongolia, New Zealand, and Panama with various drones and never had a problem.  The biggest concern is the LiPo batteries -- make sure you follow all the rules there (carry on/ don't check, smaller than 100 W-hr per battery).  It's not required, but it's a good idea to put your LiPos in storage mode (ca 3.7 V/cell) b/c that is the safest mode for them.  I usually have hard copy of the FAA/ICAO rules on LiPos with me but I rarely need to pull them out (except in Ulaan Bataar).  The biggest problem is finding someone who speaks English to explain the situation if there is an issue (problem in S Korea).  I also try to have a letter from the organization I'm visiting but I've never needed it.

Best wishes with your travels!

• Thanks Tom very useful. One of my other concern is loosing a checked in drone, which I don't think there is a good solution...

This reply was deleted.