Replies

• Developer

alas - the follow-me in andropilot is currently busted (the latest arducopter release changed how things worked).  Until I get back to fix it you'll need to use droidplanner for this feature...

• Is FollowMe working again with Andropilot? Haven't used Andropilot in a while and would be interested in trying out the control through tilting the phone again, but had one crash trying this last summer and would like to have it confirmed working before I try again.

• Has anyone tried "Follow Me" on the rovers with Andropilot?  I haven't seen alot of the rovers discussed.  I tried "Follow Me" on the rover today, and didn't get any response.  I tried even changing into Guided Mode before checking the Follow Me box and still no result.  However, the rover did respond when I told it to "Go To" a point I pointed to on the map.  Waypoints work with the rovers using Andropilot as well, but still can't figure out what's wrong with the Follow Me.

I realize alot of ground control software don't have the same functionality with rovers as with aerial vehicles.  In this regard, I could understand if Follow Me doesn't work yet with rovers using Andropilot.  I'm using the rover as a test subject before I try the app, and "Follow Me," on the X8 aerial quad. 

Thanks

• Hello tony, I'm a little behind on the times but I'm attempting follow me mode and when I click follow me on my zeki 8" tablet in droid planner 2 the quad drops altitude and begins to come towards me. If I left it as is the copter would crash into me. Did u find what setting or how to change the altitude for follow me? Thank you for this post and any help.
  • Tested today Andropilot 1.4.14 in flight.

Everything OK now!  You can activate/deactivate Guided Mode with RC Ch5 even in follow me/lead it.

You can activate/deactivate RTL Thru Ch7 even in follow me mode.

If you stay in LOITER and activate follow me using Andropilot, copter goes automatically in GUIDED Mode.

If you are in LOITER and you ask a goto command for going to a target Andropilot activates  GUIDED Mode.

That's great as you do not need to have a GUIDED Mode on ch5. You can keep on Ch5 STAB/LOITER/AUTO and activate GUIDED mode thru Andropilot!

In this case you have to be careful as CH5 is in LOITER while Copter is in GUIDED. In this case you can not switch to loiter thru Ch5 (it is already in loiter) so you need to switch in loiter thru Andropilot or switch to STAB, or switch to AUTO and then back to LOITER....this is very OK for me!

Fantastic!

Thanks again Kevin for this app!

Luciano

• Short video about FOLLOW ME

I confirm that when you are in FOLLOW ME Mode you are not able to go back easily  to LOITER or RTL unless you disable Follow me from Andropilot. If you are in emergency (aaahhhh...cyborg copter is catching me!) you should be able to go back to LOITER using CH5 on RC radio or RTL using CH7. Now the only way to exit from follow me using CH5 is going to Stabilize.....or run faster than your copter :)

• Developer

I'm glad you liked follow-me.  Can someone try 'lead-it' mode with a copter?  To enable this mode, go to settings and change the min and max distance for follow-me to something other than 0.

What will happen is that the quad will stay in front of you, so if you turn right it will move right.  Similarly if you tilt the tablet fore and back it will move towards and away from you.

I'd love to see a video of this (I'm a plane person)

• Just a quick question.. would this work with an airplane?  If so, how would the plane deal with the speed of the ground target?  If I am in a car, moving less than the required speed of the plane to remain at altitude, etc..

Just thinking about all this..

thanks so Much!  Love this idea

• Hello,

Just was thinking after someone asked me if I was able to set a distance that the quad would keep away from gps'd target...

Could a setting/parameter setting be added to set the number of <2 second> gps updated waypoints -or- amount of time delay for the quad to stay behind on the FOLLOW ME trail?

This would be awesome if this could be implemented !!!

• Hello all,

Just came back in from running through 4 batteries trying out FOLLOW ME mode. Im sure I looked ridiculous running around the snowy soccer field with a Tx around my neck, tablet in my hands, and always looking back and up with this crazy thing chasing me LOL.

All went well and smooth !! Really impressed so far !

My question to whomever can answer is that no matter what altitude I switched over to LOITER at before starting FOLLOW ME would not "stick". The quad would always slowly keep going higher to about 20m or so. What parameter is it grabbing altitude from? Is there a parameter for controlling the altitude in FOLLOW ME? Or is this some safety measure, do I need a sonar module added to be able to use FOLLOW ME at lower altitudes than 20m?

Anyway, I cant wait till I can head down to the farm with my quad and my other quad (4 wheeler) to have it chase me around on that (part of where I am heading with my FPV). I will definately get that on video; one on the copter and one on the four wheeler filming each other. Although I need to get this altitude part down first as I would like to be able to control that.

Thanks in advance for anyones help on this.

Tony
This reply was deleted.