New flying wing from 3D Robotics

In a recent video interview Chris Anderson mentioned that 3D Robotics is planning on releasing a new flying wing. Any more info available on this development? I am looking at buying a wing in the near future and was wondering what might be coming...

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Not sure if 3DRobotics monitors this group but I would suggest that they review the work done by Gene Robinson to modify the X8 flying wing to try to meet the requirements he sees for day-to-day aerial data collection (ruggedness, cargo capacity, flight characteristics, etc.). There is good info in this work that would help to produce a new product from 3DRobotics that would fill a hole in the current airframe options. Here are the links to the info...

The complete summary on regroups...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1681013

A summary on sUAS News...

http://www.suasnews.com/2012/12/20326/x8-a-game-changer/

• Based on some of the reviews it looks like there is room for improvement on the X8 so hopefully it would take those lessons learned and do it better. Looking at what's out there for my needs, the Zephyr II and SenseFly eBee, along with the X8 would be good choices to benchmark a new design against. My personal needs would be focused on long flight times and provision for flexible payloads (e.g. aerial survey equipment, thermal imager) which might conflict with other users who are looking for a more agile platform for FPV. However, the FPV focused users do seemed well served by the current offerings (e.g., TBS Caipirinha and Zephyr II) which may leave a space in the market for something different. I like the Techpod design for payload and flight time capability but a rugged flying wing design that met these goals would be great for users focused on day-to-day aerial survey activities.

I would hope that we see something from 3D that fills out the market rather than duplicates something already out there.

• Given the great commercial success of the Skywalker x8 wing, and its scarcity, it would be smart business to offer a close competitor. Bring it on!
This reply was deleted.