Dear all,

As we are supporting community mapping in Borneo and Papua [Indonesia], we have been able to, so far, use our multirotor [tricopter and quadcopter]. However, the customary forest that we are about to map are way too large to be mapped by multirotor. We think of using fixed wings platform. So far, we have chosen:

1.Airframe:

Skywalker 1680

http://www.fpvmodel.com/new-skywalker-1680-1800mm-wingspan-fpv-platform_g438.html

2. Camera:

Canon S100 [around 200 grams]

We expect to reach 1.5 hours flight if it's possible. So far, with tricopter, we flew for 18 minutes for each mission and we were able to map around 60 Hectares of area with great results. We aim at being able to map around 400 Hectares in one flight [with fixed wing] if possible.

Therefore, we need your inputs and experiences which combination of motors, ESC, propellers and battery should we use to reach our goals.

Thank you so much for your inputs and experiences. We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Community Drones Team

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 100KM

I've had a look at the NCR18650B quite a few times, but couldn't justify buying it over products like these: http://www.rangevideo.com/en/60-4s

It looks to be much cheaper and more convenient.

• Hi Hein du Plessis,

Thanks so much! that looks promising

• 100KM
    If 90 minutes flight time is your target, I think SW may be really suitable. After you put in those battery you may not have much room for camera and it get heavy. An X8 or FX 79 may be good for your project.
    • Hi Keeyen Pang,

Thanks again for your attention, support and information. Then We definitely will try SW. What do you usually use? more SW or X8 or FX79? Thanks so much

• Hi Rai,

Better you use SW 1900 (fx series airfoil), higher lift capabilty so it can bring more battery amps. Do you mean endurance (90min) or Long distance? it's different terms in between. If you want to fly endurance choose high aspect ratio airplane (I thought SW1900 is glider too), but if you want long distance traveller airplane choose low drag airplane (SW X8).  I,m from Jakarta, doing mapping also, especially palm oil plantation and mining area.  Usually my drone fly in 1 hour with total travel around 50km or more. Anyway few weeks ago I take video for deforest activity for germany national television (Hornungtv). I.m glad to hear in indonesia, hope we can meet if you are in Jakarta.

• Hi Pak Eko Rahardjo,

Wow, thanks lot for your information and support. Hummm, good point regarding endurance or distance. What I meant was endurance [90 minutes], however I thought the longer the endurance is the larger area could be mapped [which might be related more to the distance]. Thanks lot for your information on SW 1900. Would be lovely to meet each other in Jakarta. I will be in Jakarta in 3 days time. Thanks lot again and looking forward to meeting you.

Best wishes,

R

• For this long flight time, normal Lipos are not the best choice.

Take a look at the Panasonic NCR18650B LiIon Battery. Capacity ist 3400mAh, 3.6V and just 46g. But they deliver just 2C. So you can pull between 6 and 7 Amps per cell.

266 Wh/kg - thats more than every Lipo on the market.

• Those are great batteries, they were the ones used by EndofDays in the second last multi-rotor endurance record. The most recent endurance record was achieved with GEB8043125 batteries which strangely are rated around 260Wh/kg. I think the NCR18650B were rated lower around 248Wh/kg... where does the 266 figure come from?

• Hi Felixrising,

Thanks for your comment and clarification. I will check the GEB8043125 also the NCR 18650B. Thanks lot.

• MR60

The GEB batteries have a bigger energy density than the Li-Ion Panasonic. Price to pay : only a few dozens recharging cycles...So it is a choice to do between more energy or longer lasting batteries.

This reply was deleted.