Newbie doing research in africa

Hi all

I'm new to drones but very familiar with GIS, GPS and remote sensing. Now we are planning a pilot study in parts of Africa in the beginning of 2014. We want to map village farmlands, preferably multispectral, and simultaniously, we will take soil samples etc. Can you guide me to equipment sutiable for this? I'm a big DIY but for this I have very little time, so it needs to be pre-built. Would you mind share experiences and suggestions to what to get?

Sincerely, Ola Hall

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Check out Flightriot.com
    Duffy puts together some very good inexpensive packages.
  • Hej Ola,

Vill du prata lite om detta på svenska får du gärna kontakta mig. magnus@leijonborg.se. Ingen erfarenhet av Afrika, men har byggt några plan som kanske skulle kunna göra jobbet. 

mvh

Magnus

Hi Ola,

Be prepared to spend a great deal of money if you don't want to build it yourself. I am in South Africa working with UKZN students on a tracking things from UA.

A simple platform like the new http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__41322__Hobbyking_Sky_Eye... with an APM 2.6 and a suitably modified camera would work. 

Its all a matter of how much money you have to spend....

You also need to think about where you are flying, most of Africa is hot and high, Bixlers and small wings will not lift the camera on a summers day above 5000'

This reply was deleted.