RC boat insurance

I am curious if anyone has searched for\found liability insurance for their boat. I have called the UAV insurance folks and they have either said "no" or failed to call me back after repeated attempts on my part to get an answer.

I also talked with my insurance agent and "automated control of a RC boat" ie, no human at the wheel, would invalidate any coverage. 

My agents point of view was, even though there may be" a "kill switch" (auto to manual on transmitter) the fact that the boat was not "in control via the operator" would invalidate any insurance they could provide. 

Which, I think, is their way of saying that they don't want the hassle of trying to get insurance for me on this.

Has anyone successfully found insurance? Please let me know

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi there,

I guess in common with a lot of folks, I get liability insurance as part of my Club subscriptions. I did raise this point with the Club committee who collectively arrange the insurance. In their opinion exactly the opposite applies - their view is that I am in control of the boat at all times, even when it is in Auto mode (by virtue of the manual switch, proven fail-safes, knowledge, training and good practice).

They liken it to cruise control in a car, or autopilots in a plane,ship or  train .-  and those don't require any special insurance provision.

I think we're a bit luckier in this respect because we only operate in 2 dimensions and only within the constraints of the water in which we are sailing - its a bit different for planes, drones and copters. 

I guess it's a matter of interpretation. At the end of the day common sense, practicality, sensible risk analysis and responsible behavior are the key in my opinion.

If you want to formally declare a technical situation to an insurance agent who doesn't understand the situation,  implications or technology then I'd suggest contacting the fly-boys to find out how they handle it. They have a huge 'auto' user base, and have had far bigger risk profile for a significantly longer time. In reality, the insurer doesn't need an autopilot to refuse payout - he's already got a zillion other loopholes and excuses if you read the policy small print.

I hear where you're coming from, but at this end our conscience is clear, and we're keeping our heads down.

Not an answer as such, but sharing experience of how we feel and are reacting !!!

All the very best and take care - Tony

This reply was deleted.