Conversion of JR E6-550 to APM 2.5

Hello All,

I have just converted my JR E6 from its previous configuration of using the JR TAGS01 gyro to the APM 2.5.  This helicopter has been a great flyer and quite capable 3D helicopter.  The conversion is a bit of an experiment in order to see how well it will handle full auto flight.  I had the APM in a Flame wheel doing full auto flight quite well.  

Here is a picture of the stock setup.

3691160513?profile=original

Now here is a closeup of the new APM installation:

3691160496?profile=original

3691160423?profile=original

With some help from Randy I have it flying nicely in stabilize mode.  So far I have a few flights adjusting all the parameters.  I am happy with the tail as it hold very well.  I can actually take off, hover for a few minutes and land without even having to touch the tail.  The roll and pitch axis are still a work in progress as I still need to give some correction to keep the heli in one spot.  Although test flights today were done in somewhat gusty conditions so some cyclic correction is expected.  

Currently the APM could use a bit more vibration isolation which I would like to do next once I have checked over the logs.  First I need to figure out how to do this...

Regards,

Richard

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi,

So I have been trying to get ALT hold working.  Have not been having to much success.  I can go from having the heli oscillate vertically very quickly while maintaining altitude to having it dive or climb until I alter my stick position.

I hate to ask but is there a trick or easy way of getting this working?  Is it possible to see it in action without having to fly the heli?  

So far I have learnt:

the throttle rate is in the control loop for ALT hold and has a large effect on response.

The collective channel is used to control alt hold and not the throttle channel.

So my helicopter hovers at 68% stick position.  I tried to set the Throttle Mid parameter to 680 in order to compensate for my stick position but it does not seem to effect it.  As soon as I flip the switch to ALT hold the swashplate still moves to maximum positive collective.  It is only when the collective is very close to 50% output that the swashlate does not go to maximum positive.

Thanks,

Richard

• Might need sponge over barometer. Prop wash might do weird things to a baro.
This reply was deleted.