3DR Video/OSD System Kit

Anyone experienced with this? I'm satisfied with the performance of my Y6 now and would like to try FPV.

At $189.99 the price seems right. Any reason(s) not to use this system?

I already have an AV-USB adapter to start out using a laptop, may get monitor to mount on the tx later.

Thanks.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• @Eric Bradstreet

If your gimbal is controlled by your tx, you may want to give this a shot....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677559

I already got most of the components to make mine...

Felipe

• Just ordered my 3DR OSD/Video kit and a pair of FatShark Base Goggles. These dont have the receiver built in so with the separate receiver and a little riggin, it will sit above on a pole connected to my CamelBak. The Base goggle have the widest FOV unless you try and get the new Dominator HD's. It is 35 degrees like the Attitudes and has adjustable PID's. I will try it all stock first and then see how upgrading the antennae does after I gain a little experience. 

• Any pics out there of your Y6 FPV configuration such as how/where the tx/antenna is placed, what type etc.?

Is it best to have the antenna up or down? I've heard it should be at opposite ends from the rx and one facing down the other up. Others say just keep them separated front to rear. Others say.....

If the transmitter is placed by an ESC will there be interference? What about GPS interference?

Any other info is welcomed.

• I don't have a pic handy, but here's my setup...

I have the video tx from 3DR mounted on the back of the right front leg, antenna connector down. I have cloverleaf antennae from 3DR; they come out of the connector at 90 degrees, so parallel to the ground in my case, but I bent the flexible antenna shaft  The antenna shaft is flexible, and I have it bent so the end of the antenna is pointing up.

It's good for me up to 1km or so with good antenna placement on the ground and clear LOS. If a leg or body plate occludes the antenna at that distance video gets spotty, but otherwise it seems to work really well. Also, not having it stick up off the top of the craft means it's protected in case of a flip on takeoff or landing. I broke my 915MHz antenna that way.

• I ordered the FPV/OSD option from 3dr on my X8 RTF and, so far,  find it satisfactory.  I just replaced the 5.8g antennas with the Bluebeam Ultra set from RangeVideo.com yesterday (they come with the NEEDED adapters) and have only tried it out on the bench but it seems to be very clear, blasts through walls of the house,  and the picture on my Black Pearl (also from RangeVideo.com, so I know it's the latest model) is superior. I'll test it for range on the ground today (waiting on repair parts from 3dr to fly) and post my results here. 

Being new to FPV I think the B.P. will be a good choice as it allows me to instantly transition from FPV to visual (as long as I'm in visual range) when I get confused  (and I know I will). 

I also bought the $57 DVR from Hobby King that Charlie Deets recommended which I believe will be a great addition as I can record the OSD as video for easy post-flight review. 

FYI, I bought the Tarot monitor mount AND OPTIONAL tx adapter (I couldn't mount the B.P. on my FS-TH9X tx without the adapter) from Range Video.  Works like a charm but use a neck strap or the tx/monitor combo get heavy fast. 

One caveat re: RangeVideo.com: they are a GREAT vendor but be SURE to read EVERY WORD in the product description to be sure you order the options you want and know what comes standard and what's optional. I made assumptions because I was in a hurry and incurred more shopping charges that I otherwise might have.  MY FAULT, NOT THEIRS. I recommend them highly in all respects. 

• Amos,

What range are you getting with the 3DR setup with the ImmersionRC antenna?

• You might give 3DR a call about what they recommend for their kit. My 2914 Y6B shipped from them with a 4s LiPo and their video kit all wired up. I think the video kit just runs off battery voltage. I think the power comes off the power distribution board. I don't recall seeing anything in there to step voltage down, but a quick call to 3DR would make sure. Either way they might have an easier solution than the filter, not that there is anything wrong with that.
    • Hello Haywood

You mentioned  "I highly suggest you wire the video transmitter in to the copter's main battery so you have one less connection to make."

I am using 3s and 4s batteries and how do I go about connecting the 3DR video transmitter to my main battery?

I saw this on HobbyKing -http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__43725__FatShark_Filtered...

Will this work and has anyone tried it?

Any suggestion regarding FPV monitor, I saw the one in 3DR and looking at its specs, it seems to be an older model of the Black Pearl. The newer model is RC801 and has anyone any comments and a good place to purchase one in the Asia region.

Thanks

David

• Hi David,

This will work. In fact, the Predator V2 and Attitude V2 comes with it. Just connect the balance tab of the main flight battery to this filter and you are good to go. There are connectors on it for 2s, 3s and 4s, so connect to the appropriate connector depending on your battery.

Staq

• Hello Staq

The thing here is that I am just getting into FPV and don't have Fatshark goggles.

I want to start with a simple setup and going to use FPV monitor instead.

I have a 2013 Y6 with 3DR's OSD/FPV system and it came with 3s 900mAh battery to power the OSD/FPV system.

Thank you for confirming that I can use my main flight battery with this filter to power the 3DR OSD/FPV system.

David

This reply was deleted.