Motor Not Spinning - Bad Power Board Distribution

Ive comb the internet and the Diydrones.com site and cant find an answer or anything thing that would help me out...so Im reaching out to you guys.

- I ordered a 3dr Y6 and noticed that a motor was getting extremely hot (TOP REAR, #6, Ya configuration), so 3dr replaced it. 

- Got the replacement in the mail and put it on, at the same time I decided to go with the Yb (frame 10) configuration since I had the frame apart.

- While testing motor rotations, my BOTTOM LEFT (#6, Yb configuration)  motor does NOT spin.

- For a test, I swapped the esc signal wires in the Power distribution board (PDB) and it seems that there is no signal coming from the #6 PDB esc plug.  

I think Ive ruled out the ESC and motor. Could it be the PDB or even the APM?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you guys...I think I was in such a hurry to fly this thing, I over looked the fact that one should disconnect the USB from the APM when calibrating the ESCs.
    Needless to say I was able to get in about a 14 min maiden flight.
    I'm so amazed how tuned it was out the box. I'll start all the tuning and gps calibrations tomorrow.
    Thanks again
  • ...so I decided to re-check continuity wire wiggling wires on the PDB and still everything checks out.  I recalibrated escs 

but this time I decided to hook up a battery and give a little more throttle, if the Y6 has throttle for >3 seconds, the esc plugged into the PDB #6 beeps about 3 times and then spins up and doesnt stop. I then have to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. I tried this with two other esc/motors and get the same results.

but wait, my #3 has also stopped working....agh! so frustrating.

• Can you calibrate #6 okay by itself?

• Would it be safe to plug the ESC signal wires straight into the APM?

• You can plug 'em right into your receiver as well if need to. Yellow channel 3 is usually throttle. Please remove your props first.

• Have you calibrated the ESCs? since the motors spin at low revolutions when doing the motor test. Sometimes if the ESCs have not been calibrated, they will not spin.

• Yes...I did it twice. I even swapped motors and ESCs around. If its plugged into the #6, it doesn't spin.

• Hi FB

Ditto!  I had this same issue with a 3DR Y6. After a day of analysis and testing, it turned out it was the PDB. I am starting to think that there might be a bad batch of 6 port PDBs floating around. You are the second person today I have heard of who has had this issue with a recent Y6.

As per other threads. Check and recheck your PDB. if it is a bad connection, it may be difficult to diagnose (and even harder to fix). A beeping ESC is a good indicator that the ESC does not have clean power.

I have included a link to a couple of vids that demonstrate the erratic ESC beeps, and the motor not spinning up).

My fix included getting a replacement PDB from 3DR.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18584467/3DR%20Y6/IMG_0765.MOV

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18584467/3DR%20Y6/IMG_0797.MOV

• I once had a bad connection on one of the 6 signal wires running between the APM and the PDB.  The ESC would intermittently loose it's signal and start beeping.  As suggested, check with a meter (and wiggle the wires a bit, with your third hand, at the same time) .

• Yeah, unless they have been hot glued those wires are a ticking time bomb. Had two of them pop off during my first build before it was even in the air.

This reply was deleted.