(Newbie) Y6 Flight trouble

Well, the last weeks I was trying to assemble a 3D Robotics Y6, I could do it, I had to downgrade the APM to 2.9 because the I2C voltage was 5.0 volts and MP showed the message: Bad Gyro Health, but when I arm the motors they didn't work fine.

I'm not really sure if is something about the RC, it showed the Acro mode, I don't know how to change to Stabilize, I configured the flight modes. I checked and performed the ESCs calibration and the mandatory hardware configuration. I'm using the old Y6 propellers and motors configuration:

3691135760?profile=original

Top motors with 10 in propellers: SFP for clockwise rotation and SF for counterclockwise.

Bottom motors with 11 in propellers: SFP for clockwise rotation and SF for counterclockwise.

The writing on propellers faces to the sky.

The video show the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cUHjacWVu8

Thanks in advance.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• For what it's worth: your video is EXACTLY what my 2013 DIY Y6 looked like when I applied a little bit of power to it the first 15-20 times.  Not matter what I did, it looked like it was trying to flip over.  But then I just got frustrated and "punched" the throttle up to see what would happen and it just took off... it tipped forward a little, then lifted straight off the ground.  I flew without using Mission Planner for the first few months though, so I never saw if I had a "bad gyro" problem.  It flew like a dream.

((I have since "upgraded" to the Pixhawk and the Y6B configuration and 10x4.5 props and have had some stability issues in Loiter mode.  IMHO, the 2013 Y6A with 10" and 11" is an amazing machine.))

• Also Micke,

The default Y6B parameter trim settings were the cause of my Y6 pulling hard to the right. If you look in the Full Parameter List for the X, Y and Z trim settings, the x (roll) will be .018 and the y (pitch) if I recall correctly is -.014. After getting mine in the air I adjusted trims to:

HbcJiv5.pngCheck your trim settings. Even with the battery set far back the default Y6B y trim may be too much and is causing your Y6 to pitch forward when throttling with the default parameters. With the x trim at .018 (positive number) it may pull hard to the right like mine did as well.

That is why I said you should have Loiter mode available so that once in the air you can switch to Loiter and get your bearings straight (so to speak), then go to Alt-H to adjust your x and y trims using 'Save Trim' on channel 7. There is a video on Youtube to do trims.

• DG,

I've configured the PWM values, but I just have two flight modes available, the first one and the last one.

This morning I got a problem with the quadcopter, I move the sticks, but when I put them back again, the motors were still working, and one of them was too hot. I couldn't check if the trims work out or not. I'm going to see what happened.

And other thing, I couldn't do the ESC calibration on APM 2.9, just in the APM 3.x + . But in APM 3.x + I can't arm the motors because the board has a problem with power supply and shows the message Bad gyro health, and in 2.9 it doesn't show that message but I can't do the ESC calibration.

Thanks in advance.

• Sorry Micke, I only have experience with the Pixhawk and Mission Planner. 

No help with the DX8; I have 9XR and Taranis. 

Hopefully someone will help you sort things out. I've had a few problems mostly operator error, but am liking the Y6 now. 

It sounds like you need to figure out the power issues before even thinking about putting it up in the air.

• Micke,

Here are the PWM values your tx switches need to result in for channel 5 flight modes to work in MP. These are in the Full Parameter list.

AlfpHMB.pngBTW, does anyone know what Pos Hold does? It apparently replaced Hybrid in the firmware update today.

• If you buy any extra motors, plan on switching to the Y6B configuration.  You could still use 11's on the bottom, though I don't recommend it.  The advantage of the new configuration is that all of the SFP props are on the top, and all of the SF's are on the bottom.  That means you only need to buy two types of propellers, not four.  

To check on switching modes, In Mission Planner, use the Radio Calibration screen to make sure the APM is seeing the appropriate values for each mode on Channel 5.  Note that it will currently only look at Channel 5 for mode information; though there is a "fix" for this in the works.  That fix is several months out from being available, I think.  

If the Radio Calibration, you are looking for each of the modes to have the values indicated on Mission Planner's Flight Mode setup screen.  On that screen you will tell it what you want each mode setting to do, and it will show a range of values Channel 5 has to be in for each setting.  One of the 6 mode choices must be set to Acro mode right now.  At the very least you could change that mode to Stabilize so you could more easily get flying.  That is, you could change the setting on the Flight Mode Setup screen in Mission Planner.  I'm probably not explaining that very clearly, but you will hopefully understand it when you see it.  

Are you sure it didn't say "Bad GPS health?"  You said "gyro" above.  Bad GPS health would be expected if you are inside a building.  Did that issue get fixed when you switched to 2.9?  

• Mission planner said Bad Gyro Health:

3701774983?profile=originalI'm going to check about the RC calibration to see if I can fix it. So, I'm going to set all the modes to Stabilize to check if the drone can fly well.

The issue about Gryo was fixed with APM 2.9 , the new version has troubles with a power regulator and that solution seems to fixed it , otherwise I have to change the board or replace the regulator.

The best solution would be change the configuration to Y6B?

Thanks in advance.

• Interesting about the gyros and regulator issues.

Yes, I'd switch to Y6B.  I notice I made an error in my first post.  I said, "If you buy more motors."  I meant, "If you buy extra propellers".  Sorry about that.  

• Haygood,

It would be OK If I changed the propellers for 10 x 3.8 on top motors SFP and 11 x 3.8 SF on bottom motors, I'm going to change to Y6 B configuration.

Is the size right?

Thanks in advance.

• Haygood,

How can I configure the trim settings on the fly ? I'm not really sure how to do it.

If I'm not bad, when I moved the right stick to the right and left, the legs lift, but I don't remember If when I put the right stick all the way back the quad copter kept at level. I'm going to check that.

Thanks in advance.

This reply was deleted.