Y6 advantages?

Hi all. I'm contemplating turning my quad into a Y6...Apart from the obvious redundancy advantage of having three pairs of motors, are there other advantages? And what are the implications of the setup using the Ardupilot FC.

Also what motors would be good (Kv) for this sort of craft 550mm C to C, carrying a Tarot gimble,

GoPro3+, Fatshark transmitter and Skylark Tiny OSD, 20A ESCs and 5000Mah battery...

Any opinions or tips would greatly appreciated. DP

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think a couple of the advantages of the Y6 layout are that it gives you a more distinct profile from below, so it's easier to orient flight direction than traditional quad/hex/octo.  It also gives the camera a clearer view out the front with 120 degree arm angles as opposed to 90 on the quad/X8 or even less on the traditional 6 or 8 arm hex/octocopter layout.  I also like how compact the Y6 folds up for transport with the front arms swiveled back parallel with the rear arm.

I can't help you with your other specific questions about FC and motors, hopefully someone else will chime in on those.

• Why making Y6 instead x8?

Transformation from quad will be easyer to X8....

This reply was deleted.