Y6 Hot motors and ESCs

Hi, just been testing my Y6 with it's new 6000mah 4S pack and noticed the motors are getting hot. This is affecting the bottom motors more where if you touch them on the base, non rotating part, they are too hot to touch for more than a few seconds. The rest of the motor is hot but can be held without issue.

To check I did another flight with a 3S 4400mah setup and the motors were again getting hot, not as hot but the flight time was 5 mins vs 13 mins.

It's also worth noting with the 4S setup the ESCs were also getting hot, again after a 13 min test flight.

The flight itself basically consisted of a 13 minute hover in loiter mode, I was testing battery times, and consumed 5000mah. The weather for the UK was hot, 25 deg C. The Y6 is a new 2014 B version weighing 1900 grams or so, std config plus 600 gram pack, with std 10 inch props and 850 blue motors.

And finally to the question, is this normal of does something sound wrong?

The only thing I can think I haven't done is balance the props, guide for this would be handy, but I have no vibration issues looking at the data log.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well since you're using I used CF 1238 on top and APC Slow Fly 1347 on the bottom motors im going go ahead and try it. The SunnySky test data shows it ok with a 6s. Well thanks for the help

• Ecalc doesn´t work well for coax setup. I use the "flat" setting and subtract the 10% loss in efficiency manually.

Do you use APC Electric Props? In that case you could choose one with a higher pitch (13x8E) for the lower motors. The top motors are near their upper limit in loiter. Did you try to fly at higher speed? 

• Something has changed since the first two flights. Current usage is higher, and PWM has increased. My original assumption was wind conditions, but now I wonder.

Today I didn't fly, only played with throttling. At minimum, motor #3 is not spinning the same as the other motors at ~40% throttle. The tach wasn't handy, but I didn't like the looks of things so packed it up.  The ESC's are borrowed from the 3DR Y6, so I think I'll wait for the new ones to arrive before flying again. I suspect the 3DR ESC's are not optimized for these larger motors; they were used because I couldn't get 6 motors to spin using Maytech ST ESC's.  I'll have ZTW Spiders to try and also HobbyWing XRotors. The Spiders are SimonK, the XRotors are HW firmware.

Yes, I dropped altitude then throttled hard two or three times. It climbed quite well. Nothing has been tuned yet, so these preliminary numbers are not reliable IMO at this point. Also, the throttle settings haven't been adjusted in MP yet.

• Looking at the data tonight, there was -.019 trim offset in the x, so virtually nothing else in the throttle data recorded today has any value for analyzing. I must have forgot to zero the trim in the Taranis,

Back to square one. I will recalibrate the ESC's, but I still think they are not well suited to use with these motors, and will still see erratic behavior in motor output with these ESC's.

The HW ESC's have my most attention because they are not SimonK and a few people I've spoken to say their firmware plays nice with lower kv motors.

• Do you have another log? Looking at the data from your last tlog the behaviour of your nice machine is quite reasonable. The throttle trim on the Taranis has no effect on the Throut of the FC - for your Y6 it is around 60% what is the same what you find when using ecalc with your setup.

After testing different ESCs i found that the 3DR 20A work best with Pixhawk and my motors (690kv).

With the 13" the KDE 2814 wil pull not more than 10A at 100% so the ESCs will be large enough.

From the data you postet I can´t see anything that needs to be changed except for the higher pitched/larger props on the bottom motors.

• Weather has not favored flying lately.  When I get a calm clear day, I plan to run it hard to gauge performance with my new configuration.  More on that to follow.

• I used CF 1238 on top and APC Slow Fly 1347 on the bottom motors.

• The weather hasn't cooperated all week,  today it reached 39 F with rain on and off, plus a bit breezy at the house, but flyable. So I drove up to the school where I go sometimes and the wind had increased considerably. Debating whether to try it or not, I finally decided what the heck, and took up the new copter (not the 3DR Y6) to do a hover test and maybe adjust trims and Auto Tune. 

Yeah right. It was not to be. Unfortunately the bitlog reset to blank, so no .bin file, but at least the tlog was stored.

The wind was really whipping. The flag on the pole should have been a sign it wasn't a good day to fly, but you know how it is.  I left it in Loiter the whole time, and it held reasonably steady to my surprise. Rather than chance a bad outcome, I waited for a break in the wind (by then drizzle too) and finally landed.....in Loiter. Whew, no crash or rollover.

I suppose this isn't the group to discuss the new copter, but it does have borrowed parts from the Y6B, until the replacement ESC's come, and a new Pixhawk, then the Y6B can be put back together. They are two very different acting machines.

Note to self: don't take copter up in 30+ mph winds.

2014-11-22 16-22-01.tlog

• LOL.  I know how you feel.  A month ago I was eager to fly the rebuilt Y6 and took it up in the wind.  Let just say it was a nail biter to get it down as I had lifted it to 250 ft alt and put it in Loiter.  It looked solid up there but I didn't check winds at that altitude and when I switched to Stabilized, it zipped back behind my head and was leaving the overhead spot rapidly.  Had to jam max forward stick to get it to work it's way back overhead and at the same time gingerly decrease throttle to get it down.  Needless to say, it was hairy as it wanted to become unstable and several times did a serious nose up and down motion which came close to departing flight.  Lesson learned, multicopters do not fly like fixed wing aircraft.  LOL

• Hy, I wanted to ask since you're all familiar with the 3dr y6, I currently have 6 Sunnysky X4108S KV380 1238 propellers 40a ESC and a 6S battery . I also have 6 Tarot 2814 700KV with plenty of 4s batteries but i would prefer using my Sunnysky motors. so my question is would the 3dr y6 fly using my current setup?

thanks

This reply was deleted.