Y6 Power Layout...?!?!?!?

I feel like I've had way too much trouble trying to fit all the bullet connectors, ESC wires, and the Arducopter Power Supply in the body of my Y6.  The longest part of my initial build was spent smashing everything in there and I worry about all that wire causing interference.

Tonight I am taking my Y6 apart and will be rebuilding it this week, with the intent of making the wiring simpler and more reliable.  I can't believe how much stuff I crammed in there...

...do you guys have any tips/tricks for wiring the Y6 battery/ESCs/motors, or are you all using the stock setup and just shoving everything in the body?  Are you cutting out the connectors and soldering everything?  If you have figured out a reliable power layout I would love to hear about it (or even better, I'd LOVE to see a picture of it).

[Bonus: attached is a photo someone sent me of my Y6 delivering the game ball to the local high school's Homecoming Football Game last friday... this thing is a beast!]

1371592_10201524464106366_1885178953_n.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I too tied my ESC's on the sides of the inner end of the rods (velcro straps for now). You just need to ensure the wires can't poke up into the path of the props.

3692843936?profile=original

I'd like to see the PDB board integrate the ESC's directly into it. Make them socketed so they can be easily replaced. The motors would then plug directly into this board. This would eliminate all the wires from the ESCs.

• T3
    Cool picture of the football drop. I cut the bullet connectors off my ESC's and attach them on either side of each arm.
  • I just got replacement ESCs from 3DR (they shipped me a mixed batch- some with simonk firmware and some without). The newest set they sent me were all simonk and happened to have about 1.5" more of DC wire lead. I have two ESCs in the front (where they were meant to be). I have two ESCs ziptied to the bottom carbon fiber board, and I have two ESCs zip tied to the arms near where they mount to the main frame (which was possible because of the extra 1.5" of wire). I'll post pics when I get home.

I'm still using the bullet connectors. One thing to note though- the signal leads on the PDB seem pretty fragile. I actually had three of them come off (luckily not in the air). I ended up resoldering all of those leads because whoever did it originally did a shoddy job. 

If you want to shove more escs in the body, you could use a few extra nuts between the top of the body and the accessory mount to give you clearance (I originally did this and will post a pic of it as well)

• I added a deck below where the pdb is located and placed all additional ESC's and wiring in there. - John

3692842679?profile=original

• I don't think Y6 is well thought frame. 

I put ESC's next to motors sideways on the arms and it is now much cleaner and less wires (and less weight). It is still fold-able.

• Thats a cool picture. I am in the same boat. I don't have a good photo of what I did. I put a ESC on each side of each arm. I have not flown it in this configuration and doing it this way you can't really use the fold up the arms as planed but I don't really have the need to do that. 

This reply was deleted.