Bad compass health

This is the message I get from my APM 2.5 connected to Mavlink.

I don't know the cause. I did try connecting an external compass M8N and changed parameters to external compass connected. I tried to do a live compass calibrate but saw nothing moving on the screen during the cal. Anyone have any idea what I'm missing here or.....?

You can send mail directly to me at arissluap@gmail.com

Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Actually I have no choice  in the matter. The internal compass was ok then for some reason I got compass error and bad compass health error, so I will try the ext one.

Funny thing is that the compass heading shows up ok in Mavlink when I rotate the APM but it is out about 180 degrees. I cannot arm because of the bad compass alarm

• I had the same issue and found a bent pin in my I2C port. 

• did you cut the trace on the APM so it only uses the external mag? if not they "fight" and neither one will work because they are both fighting for the same i2c address.

• I'm not sure where to locate the circuit board trace. If I knew where to find it I could cut no problem

• first read the wiki:

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-installing-3dr-ublox-gps-co...

They have a vid on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niqvBmXeNjU

UBlox GPS + Compass Module — Copter documentation
    • Thanks loads!

I'll check out the vid & other info. Hope it works.

I don't know what exactly Error 99 means.

Actually when connected to Mavlink,the compass appears to work as I rotate the APM however it is 180 degrees out, S is N and N is South.

Next I get the bad health error. Strange happenings for sure

One more little question is I have another APM 2,5 that can no longer connect to Mavlink.It times out and gives a "no heartbeat packets found" or something like that. Any suggestion on this one?

• The orientation of the compass can be adjusted with one of the parameters, I cant come up with the name.  I'm sure its in that wiki section.

Your "no heartbeat packets" could be your cable, but is more likely to be the configuration of the telemetry port.   Not really a "little" issue.  The port configuration is done thru a collection of parameters.  You need to read the wiki section on setting up the telemetry radio, check your cable, then find the parameter settings and check each one.

• I was wondering about conflict.

I did set the parameter to externally connected compass. I'm not sure how to cut the trace or exactly where to look for it.Any videos on YouTube you know of?

• Paul:

Have you been able to arm your APM?

Prior to arming you may see a variety of errors,  If you still see this error once you APM has armed and has a GPS lock, then I would be concerned.  If you in the air and this error comes up, you should land ASAP!

• No not able to arm. I am just putting this quad together. It is a Quanum Spider 700.

During compass cal I get compass error 99

This reply was deleted.