Rs-232 to Mavlink issue in a ground station for Pixhawk.

Dear all.

at the moment im embarking on a project to build a profesiional Ground station unit for the Pixhawk.

the idea is to use a COFDM IP brodge with has both an RJ-45 connection and an RS232 port.

the Rj-45 Connection will be used to communicate with an board micro IP switch that is connected to an IP cam and a Rasberry Pi computer.

the RS-232 is supposed to be used to do the ground station communication.

on the ground side i got a USB to Serial convertor working and im able to connect my ground unit to the laptop.

***but here comes the tricky part. on the air side can i just connect the serial RX and TX from the data modem to the Telimetry port on the pixhawk or is there more evolved?

i hope that somebody can help me out with this issue.

i already have the hardware working and integrated in a good way and the ip communications are all working fine.

the software that is supposed to control the entire unit is UGCS with the video server component.

here are the specifications of the system

Network services running on the Bridge

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• thanks guys it has been solved

• The voltage level on Pixhawk telemtry output is either 0-3V or 0-5V, I am not sure which. The spec would show that.  But I think the important point is that RS-232 is much different, +/- 3 to +/- 15V.    I think you'd probably burn out the Pixhawk if you connect it directly.

You would need a USB -Serial converter on the aircraft as well.

That's assuming I understand the question.

A wiring diagram would really help

• would this work for the air side?

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/NEW-FrSky-Receiver-Upgrade-Lite-FUL-1-RS232-...

• yes u understood my question perfectly.

but can you help me a bit further.

the Groundstation air end has a serial so according to your idea i must use a Serial to usb . how am i supposed to connect that to the Pixhawk? (that being the USB end)

about the wiring diagram is very simple there are two pins that give RS232 outputs.

3702591851?profile=original

thanks alot. in advance.

• anybody please. id really appriciate some help with this question.

This reply was deleted.