CAN NOT INVOKE AUTOTUNE FLIGHT MODE

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to fly my exa in autotune flight mode, unfortunately during my indoor test I can't invoke it.

As you can see in the attached imagery once I switch on flight mode 3 pixhawk refuses to accept this mode and keeps the previous one. 

3691302712?profile=original

As you can see the PWM signal is between the treshold, but somehow it will be rejected by pixhawk.

If I use a different flight mode 3 (anyone) it will be accepted, see image below.

3691302633?profile=original

As last thing I have thought that perhaps I couldn't set it as a flight mode so  i tried to use channel 7, which I normally use for RTL mode, but eventually even in this case Autotune flight mode will be rejected. 

is there anyone who can help?

Regards.

Marco

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi David,

during my test I have tried to set channel 7 to invoke AutoTune but once I switch with my RC the flight mode doesn't change, if I use channel 7 for either RTL or Auto or Land it work perfectly.

See the sequence below, further I have read on the wiki that Autotune for copter 3.3 can be used as a flight mode.

Thanks for your help.

3702635907?profile=original

• Let me make this perfectly clear: YOU CANNOT INVOKE AUTO TUNE THAT WAY.

AUTO TUNE IS NOT A FLIGHT MODE THAT CAN BE INVOKED IN THE SAME MATTER AS LOITER, STABILIZE, OR ANY OTHER REGULAR FLIGHT MODE.  AUTO TUNE IS FOR TUNING, NOT FLYING.

TO INVOKE AUTO TUNE THE AIRCRAFT MUST BE IN THE AIR AND THE FLIGHT CONTROLLER MUST BE IN ALTITUDE HOLD FLIGHT MODE.

So the process is, you assign AltHold to one position of your "regular" flight mode switch.

Next, you assign a second switch to either channel 7 or channel 8 in the radio.

In Mission Planner you configure either channel 7 or channel 8 to Auto Tune.

Take the aircraft to a large open field, go through your normal initialization routine, arm the motors and take off.  Fly out several meters. Use your regular flight mode switch to switch the flight controller into ALTHOLD.

Fly around in ALTHOLD to make sure the flight mode is working properly.

If ALTHOLD is functional, use the switch assigned to either channel 7 or channel 8 and invoke Auto Tune.  DO NOT TAKE THE FLIGHT CONTROLLER OUT OF ALTHOLD!!!

• Cliff has the answer IMHO. I've been told be the guy who wrote Autotune to be in Alt Hold mode then throw the separate Autotune switch. 

I understand that eventually Autotune may use Loiter mode or something similar, which will be nice.

• Hi I had the same problem, make sure your throttle stick is dead center, when the ap detects its a bit up or down it will not engage.

• Yep, been tripped up by that too. Also the other sticks need to be centered with no trims set on the radio (AFAIK).

• That is not the proper way to invoke Auto Tune, this is:  http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/autotune.html

In the radio you assign a switch to either channel 7 or channel 8.  Then you go into Mission Planner > Config/Tuning and assign Auto Tune to that channel.

When you want to run Auto Tune you put the aircraft into AltHold and then you engage AutoTune.

And, I don't think you want to do this indoors.  Auto Tune needs LOTS of room to do its thing...

AutoTune — Copter documentation
    • Hi Clifton,

during my test I have tried to set channel 7 to invoke AutoTune but once I switch with my RC the flight mode doesn't change, if I use channel 7 for either RTL or Auto or Land it work perfectly.

See the sequence below, further I have read on the wiki that Autotune for copter 3.3 can be used as a flight mode.

Thanks for your help, Im not gonna use autotune indoor, but before wasting time on field I want to be sure it can be invoked.

3702635907?profile=original

This reply was deleted.