Dli F550 + APM 2.5 + PM + DX7/AR7000 Build Questions

My first question is....the BEC? Do I need it?  I'm pretty sure I do.  Where does it go? I'm thinking I saw something about a stock DJI F550 frame, esc, motor, must use an esc. I have a Turnigy SBEC 8-40V max 5A. switchable 5 or 6 volts.  Should that do the job?  My thought was that I cut the black and red wires off the lead from the esc, plug in the signal pin to apm output rail, soldier red cable from esc to red output cable on sbec and same with blk cable.  The red n blk on input of sbec along with red n blk leads from the PM side to the PCB power terminal on the back of DJI botton board.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I had my Maiden Flight today!  1st try to lift off, it started lifting to one side.  I lowered the throttle a bit, raised it again and lift off!!!  Put it back down again quickly.  All my controls were backwards. So I disarmed my hex, changed my settings for reversing aile, elev, and rudder in my tx and re-arm.  (Que heavenly music) We are hovering beautifully!  I'm running APM 2.5, Using the PM, 933 telem, and 3dr GPS. I wanted to throw my gopro h2 under it after the first 2 flights went ok.  so I found some old heli landing skids and zipped 3 on legs for now! Flew great again.  All my flights have been in stabilise.  My setup is really temporary right now, So I would love any suggestions from you on Placement and mounting ideas.  

• since you are using the 3dr pm with jp1 disconnected there is no need to cut any wires

only if jp1 is left connected/on should you remove the red

should you want to remove the red wires its best to take 2 old servo lead ends pull back the tabs slightly to remove the wires and do that with the red ones too from your esc's

insert all the red leads into the two empty servo ends to group them together for later use if needed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ri8i5ITI8o

• Also, is it better to mount Apm inside the frame or on top?

• if you have the 3dr power module you just remove jp1 and connect the pm to the 6 pin header and then connect the pm module inline between battery and power distro board or harness

if you are not then you can use the bec unit..

on the bec unit input connect it to battery supply lead and MAKE SURE you set the bec to 5V, remove JP1 on the apm and connect the bec supplied 5v to the apm on the input side

see warning below about over 5v

WARNING: Do not connect a 5.5V UBEC to power the input headers with JP1 removed, if you supply more than 5.5V to the Input headers you will fry the MUX chip.

A 5V UBEC is normally rated at 5V +/- 5% which means that its output voltage will be between 4.75V and 5.25V and can safely be used to supply power via the Input headers.

Something to consider using bec supplies:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23912915&postcoun...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24501137&postcoun...

RC Groups - View Single Post - Rctimer apm 2.5
    RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums,…
This reply was deleted.