ESC frequency mismatch with APM

Hey APMer's,

I've had the misfortune of getting an ESC that is not compatible with the APM. How is this possible? Welp, I'm using this ESC, the Turnigy Trust brand from HexTronik. Whenever I connect the ESC to the APM, it just beeps every 0.5s. No matter what I've tried, this issue persists. It just so happens, as described in these posts here and here, that this ESC does not like to go above 433Hz. So I tried changing the code (version 3.2.1) described in the comments to lower the output frequency. The file is RCOutput_APM2.cpp. I uploaded the code onto the APM, and the beeping continues! I tried several lower values after that with no results.

It seems like this ESC is too 'advanced' for the APM. My group and I are close to buying new 'dumb' ESCs. So does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else had this problem before?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I had the same problem with my Trust 55`s and all that was needed was to set the High / Low throttle on a receiver before connecting it to the APM.  

• That would indicate they're simply not calibrated and don't have defaults out the box? That seems unusual, but easily remedied by running the APM ESC Calibration routine (props off of course ;) )

• I hI had a similar problem. What I did in mission planner was to go to the advanced tuning screen. I made sure that I had the correct parameters for a quad copter. Then I told her to reset to defaults. Then I told it to reload all parameters this fixed my problem with beeping ESC's.
  • Hi Sourlemon, perhaps this will make things sweeter...!?

If it's any consolation, I bought some Hobbywing Skywalker 20A which exhibit exactly the same phenomenon, with both the Naza M lite and the APM 2.6. They were all calibrated individually and work fine when attached only to the receiver channel.

However the intermttent beeping occurs when all four are installed on my quad.

I eventually gave up exasperated,  and bought some Emax 20A Simon K Esc's which work fine......

I hope someone has a solution too...

• Thanks, haha. I probably should have mentioned that we're using high voltage motors which are also Turnigy brand. I tried using a 30A ESC (not mine) and just barely lifting the throttle burnt out the ESC. We're looking to get these if I can't fix it. 

• You might consider upgrading to TGY firmware by Simonk....  It appears the Turnigy Trust 45A are supported: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhR02IDNb7_MdEhfVjk3Mk...

• Alright thanks, I didn't even know this was possible.

This reply was deleted.