FW3.1.3 - Switch to Loiter = CRASH!

Copter Specs:

APM 2.6: FW 3.1.3

Frame Type: Quad (X)

Motors: T-motor 4008-18 380kV

Props: APC SlowFly 14x4.7

ESC: Castle Creations Pheonix Edge Lite 50 Amp

LiPo: 6s 6000mAH 30C

Recently upgraded to firmware version 3.1.3 and went out to fly yesterday in moderate winds. The copter has not gone through any AutoTune yet but is flyable in Stabilize and in Altitude Hold (however it is not so smooth in this mode). After noticing that the copter was very unstable in GPS (rolled, pitched and oscillated) when left in position I performed another Magnetometer (Compass) calibration in the field and then flew again.

This flight went as follows: Took off in Stabilize. Switched to Altitude Hold, flew for a few seconds and then switched to loiter where immediately the copter flipped and crashed.

Can anyone tell me what happened here? I would greatly appreciate the help!

Kind regards,

Oliver Volkmann

2014-04-25 16-37-51.log

2014-04-25 16-37-51.log.gpx

2014-04-25 16-37-51.kmz

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just a stab in the dark: Not sure that a GPS glitch would have that instant flipping effect. It looks like maybe this flip was in the direction of roll? Also could you tell if the quad was under power when it rolled and crashed? If not, maybe this was a failsafe activation, or if it was under power it could have been thrust failure at one corner (meaning loose or broken prop,motor fail, motor connection fail, esc fail, esc connection fail, with probably the most likely of those being a connection or a prop). 

• Seems to be the cause. Hard to tell because of the crash damage but I did notice that one of the folding arms of the SteadiDrone QU4D that I am using was loose. Very embarrassing but weird that it happened at the exact moment of switching to loiter. Anyway, repairs have been done and now I've noticed more issues. as noted in my post below.

Thanks to all of you who have tried to come up with some reasoning as to what is going on. Unfortunately, the saga continues!

• Haven't looked at logs, but it sounds like "GPS Glitch"? I think you can set a param to switch to another flight mode (non GPS) when it happens. Something to start with...

• GPS was malfunctioning at the end of your flight. Number of satellites went from 11 (which is quite a good number) down to 10 (which should be also good enough number but apparently wasn't) and shortly after that error state followed. So I assume the receiving conditions are not the greatest for your GPS module. Try to lift it above the propellers or further away from other antennas and/or strong current flows on the copter. Seems to me that GPS is on the edge in your case. 

Wish you many happy flights anyway. :-)

Jakub

• yeah, it was upside down when I lost the GPS.

This reply was deleted.