Replies

• I find the voltage drop on Multistar batteries is excessive when approaching 3c. IMO they are ok for very light copters, but after a short time begin degrading.

When first installing on the Sky Hero 750 Y6, I was impressed with the MS, but soon it became apparent the 'C' rating is very much overrated as demonstrated when flying into a head wind it went into battery failsafe prematurely. Therefore I only use on lighter quads. That said, late last year HK had the MS 5200 4s batteries for $15.....wish I bought 4 instead of 2 for my test quad.

Personally I came to like Lumenier batteries. Power to weight is better than MS and also higher 'C' rating, but of course are much more expensive.

• Developer

What voltage did you set the failsafe trigger at? For some reason in the multicopter community there is this belief that fail-safe should be set at 3.7v/cell, which is ludicrous.

3.7v is the nominal voltage for a lipo cell under load. If you failsafe at that voltage you will never be able to get 80% out of the battery with normal 5-10C current usage. A more sensible failsafe trigger would be around 3.4v/cell, and still be conservative with regard to safety.

• Me, 3.4-3.5v to get 70%-80%

• Hi,

Same experience with HK MultiStar. Same Y6 copter, and final rsult that I had to ditch these batt to the waste bin. Need to buy much higher quality 6S batt.
      It's cheaper to buy high quality 6S than rebuild the copter from a massive crash.

• Interesting to know your bad experience, thanks for share,what c rate did you have on that copter? It possible that it was an over rated c problem?

• Cala,

It's very well overrated. As many Chinese origin batteries used to be.

If the Power Modul telemetry values are real values(had no chance to measure it by instrument), my copter draw about 12-15 amps on climb and hover.

And the green MultiStar lasted for max 4-5mins. And I've 2 of it, and both perform the same. So it isn't a bad luck, it is its real performance. We can't talk about C rating ;)

• I use 2 chinese batteries with ZERO issues. Best thing to do is analyze ur logs after a few first flights with the new battery and compare voltage drop with throttle input.

Never tried multistar batteries but i bought them on aliexpress. The batteries are both 6S one 5Ah one 10Ah and  both are awesome never had an issue at all i do balance charge also every time i charge them.. 

• DG, that's the question, How are the real C ? but, for the moment 2 multistar 5200 3s are winning the flying time for me; I'm a little dissapointed with expensive batteries,  at the begining I bougth Hyperion, much expensive than HK ones and in few months some of them where a ballon, not warrantee, I always balance and charge at 1c * Amp, I changed the charger for an Hyperion one and same results, a friend have the same results so now, I prefer cheap ones, It's true that drops v more than new hyperion but cost the middle, now I'm giving a chance to a Pulse but looks too heavy for a multicopter. I give a look to Lumenier, thank's for the info.

• MR60

i hope in the discussion below that we are no mixing the terms C and S.

S is the number of cells. Always balance charge your LiPo battery cells. A 6S battery has 6 mini-batteries or cells that need to be balanced charged together. It only takes one cell to not fully charge and "poof". They will last longer and be less likely to catch on fire.

C tells you how long the ship needs to fly for safe use of the battery. If C is 10, then the ship needs to be able to max-fly for longer than 60 minutes / 10 (the C factor) or 6 minutes. And by max-fly, i mean have the throttle at the max throttle that you use during normal flight (for photographers this is usually 65% throttle and for racers 100% throttle). If trying this and the ship stays in the air for less that that amount of time, then you are over taxing the battery, The battery will puff and might catch on fire.  Most every case of puffing and fire is caused by not understanding this or not balance charging. If the ship doesn't fly long enough, then you need to either up the C rating or up the capacity and try it again. You can also hand calculate the appropriate battery by the methods described before.

• I take the chinesse batteries real C as the middle as they rated for safe because everywere says that that value is not true, that's a pitty because you can't compare batteries, newers take as a true value, ruin their batteries and ships and never buy again, I'm not understand that commercial politicies. 

This reply was deleted.