Pixhawk compatible compass

Hi,

I bought my new Pixhawk and I just received today, but I placed this order a long time ago and I bought the one with the power module instead of the GPS/Mag combo from the link below needed in order to have navigation capabilities:

https://store.3drobotics.com/products/3dr-gps-ublox-with-compass

Not sure why, I thought the pixhawk had an embedded  magnetometer already, but it doesn't :D

I already have a Ublox GPS from my old APM2.5, so I suppose I can use that one with this new flight controller.

Also, It looks like the GPS/Mag combo from the above link has a "HMC5883L" mag incorporated and I happen to have the 9DOF stick from sparkfun lying around ( https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10724 ) that has the same magnetometer.

Do you think if I connect this board to the pixhawk, something wrong might happen? 

Do you think it could work?

As I said, i just received it and don't want to fry it just yet :).

Thanks for your advice.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I managed to solve this by connecting the VCC wire not to I2c port but to second pin (from left to right) of SPI port, as it reads 3.3v on my multimeter. Works ok, no problems so far.

• Developer

Pixhawk does have internal compass on board. 3DR GPS/Compass uses 3.3v as it's mainly designed for APM2.5+ boards, Pixhawk has 5V output on I2C port so be careful. 

We (@jDrones) are waiting our new Pixhawk compatible compasses to arrive in few days. I will post more details when they are here. 

jDrones, R/C UAVs and More....
    Manufacturer of ArduCopter frames and parts. Custom airframe manufacturing, Custom design services for all your R/C UAV needs
  • Will try it and post it here.

• What makes you think you will fry it ;)

If it has an I2C bus (for magneto), check the voltage (should be 3.3 V), just hook it up to the I2C port in PX4 and test it. If it does not work, post it here in forums!

This reply was deleted.