Hi,

I am using a APM 2.6 FC for my S500 quadcopter. It is also fitted with telemetry to show flight parameters at gcs. I am frequently having a problem of auto initiation of RTL mode at a flight level of 150 to 200 ft, though the set mode is LOITER. I am using a FLYSKY CT6B radio with no failsafe option. Can any one please suggest the possible causes of the problem. My personal guess is that it may be due to the receiver range problem. But I am not sure.

Thanks, 
Pradeep

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for your suggestion. I will buy a taranis. Nice to chat with you.

Pradeep 

• Pradeep Kumar said:

Hi,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and for your suggestions. I am decided to buy a taranis. Before that I want to try with a 2.4 GHz Yagi 15 element  directional antenna with my old CT6B. Is that be a good idea? I saw people use directional antenna for FPV etc. but for transmitter rarely some one uses it. I am planning to use it with a antenna tracker. As a experienced RC Flyer I need your suggestion in this regards. Thanks again for your valuable suggestions.

Pradeep

HUGE waste of time, effort and money.  We have a saying here, "it is what it is" so just cut your losses and get the Taranis.

• Hi,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and for your suggestions. I am decided to buy a taranis. Before that I want to try with a 2.4 GHz Yagi 15 element  directional antenna with my old CT6B. Is that be a good idea? I saw people use directional antenna for FPV etc. but for transmitter rarely some one uses it. I am planning to use it with a antenna tracker. As a experienced RC Flyer I need your suggestion in this regards. Thanks again for your valuable suggestions.

Pradeep

• Like I said, the CT-6B is crap.  I got one in an RTF 450 Heli kit that was dead on arrival.  The vendor sent a replacement, and it worked, but the range really sucked.  I replaced it with a TH9X and upgraded it with a FrSky XJT transmitter module.  The TH9X is a better radio and its fine for flying  planes and helis, but even so it has some shortcomings  with regards to flying a multirotor. About the only other upgrade requires replacing the main circuit board with something like an Ar9X, but the boards are in short supply.

I finally broke down and bought a Taranis X9E Tray.  The QX7 is a good radio, except you have to buy a battery and a receiver.   The Taranis Plus comes with a battery, but you still need a receiver.

I use X8R receivers so I can have telemetry.

I also use Craft & Theory Flight Deck

• Hi,

You are right. I go through a flight log analysis and got "throttle fail safe" and RTL activated. But it is only 150 to 200 ft. It is very strange that I found some people claiming 500 to 800 mtr !!!!! range with the same radio. I know Taranis is the best. Please suggest a model.

Thanks again for your help.

Pradeep

• You need to look at the flight log:  http://ardupilot.org/planner/docs/common-diagnosing-problems-using-...

Hate to say this, but that radio is junk.  Get a Taranis....

Diagnosing problems using Logs — Mission Planner documentation
  • Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have a geo fence set at 300 ft but the problem occurs at half of that distance. Can it be a receiver antenna position problem.

• This almost sounds like you have Geo Fence enabled....http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/ac2_simple_geofence.html

Simple GeoFence — Copter documentation
This reply was deleted.