SPLASH DOWN

Well, one of the shittiest and most destructive things that could happen to a UAV happened to me today. Accidental low-battery LAND failsafe set my 3DR Y6 down... into a pool. I retrieved it immediately and disconnected the battery. Now I'll wait for a few days for it to dry out before doing some system tests, but I'm curious what your expectations for system function will be at this point. Crappy? I think so. It was smoking when i pulled it from the water. Oy. 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My concern with the Failsafe enable/disable options is within the Mission Planner.  I have requested a consideration to foolproof the placement of the disable/enable by placing them next to each failsafe.  I had a mishap last week because I thought I had the Low Voltage failsafe disabled while flying in a woods.  I had the Failsafe RTL activate at the low voltage setting.  I didn't have time for the mode to change because I was below the tree branches.  Even though I had 15 to 20 feet of clearance, it was not enough time to cancel the RTL mode (- I tried).  After the crash, I went to the advanced parameters and confirmed the RTL was enabled.

I always spend more time checking my multicopters and failsafe options than I seem to fly.  Do I need to confirm my  Mandatory - Failsafe selection by going to the Advanced Parameters every time? :)

The placement/layout of the enable/disable failsafe options are not organized in a foolproof manner.  They were better in previous versions.  - Refer to the WiKi.  It still shows an older version.  

Even though my concern is an enable/disable issue, I keep asking my self if the default would have been better if LAND was enabled.  I still would have preferred disabling the low voltage failsafe, but at least the LAND would have saved me $40 of damage.  Regarding a pool, I wouldn't want the LAND option either.  

• I always complete my flights before the low voltage alarm goes off.  This was the first time it went off.  The quad was only five feet away from the launch pad so it makes me really disappointed that I didn't confirm my Low Voltage failsafe setting in the Advanced parameters.  

• I've been away from the forum for many months, but I recall that the RTL won't be armed until the copter is 10M from it's origin.

That could, of course, have changed.

• Developer

It's actually possible to set the battery failsafe to RTL instead of LAND.  This feature is sadly not visible in the mission planner's battery failsafe setup page nor is it documented on the wiki page.

I'll fix the wiki page.  Until then, for those that are reading this, it's possible to set it to RTL by setting the FS_BATT_ENABLE parameter to "2".

Sorry for the troubles.

• 3D Robotics

Randy, I thought the default battery failsafe behavior was already RTL, not LAND? If not, we should totally make that the default. 

• Incorrect.  All you need to do is change modes.  Any user input overrides automated mode changes.  You can switch it into anything you want after the failsafe kicks in.

• Good theory... my experience is different.   Once the battery is below the threshold (in this case set to land) you can flip your mode swthes all you want and it will not enter any other mode.

• Not a theory.   I fly mine into the battery failsafe almost every time, and I switch to a different mode, take over, and land it myself.  Never once has it gotten "suck" on the failsafe mode.

• Pedals,

I just got back from trying this out in a controlled environment.  I put a real small battery on the 250 quad and set the threshold to 11.7v so I didn't have to wait long for the battery voltage to drop. (failsafe was set to "land"), took the props off, armed the quad and watched the telemetry and OSD.  When the battery hit 11.7 it went into land mode... and you are right.  It takes about a second but I can put it in any mode and it seems to stay there...   Makes me wonder what switch I was furiously flipping that wasn't the mode switch when it went into the briers last week.  

• excellent suggestion... I had my 250 size quad go down in briers mere feet from my mowed field.... once the battery failsafe kicks in, there is no way to get the quad into a different mode. 

This reply was deleted.