Why NAZA work without PIDS tuning and APM not?

Hi, 

All my friends that flying NAZA asking me why i did not buy DJI NAZA as it work from the box.... I build my F450  based on APM 2.6 and still tuning it... Well it still fly like a boat on the sea.. Lots of oscillation etc. My friends have NAZA and they flying without problem :( What is so special with NAZA that APM don't have? I can't make an autotune because i use dx6i so do not know how to setup to make a channel for it... The worst thing is that they have less knowledge and experience then me in RC (i fly helis 600 and 450 size) and they are flying the quads with DJI NAZA and my quad is unflyable because those PIDs thing... WHY NAZA is ready to fly?? 

My setup, logs and video how it wooble...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s56UBBxiqgI

F450 frame

DJI OPTO 30A ESC

DJI 2212 Motors with 10x38 props

3DR APM2.6 with external compass

3S 2200 40C Lipo

Spectrum dx6i TX with AR6210 with sattelite reciver.

3DR Power Module for APM

I use arducopter 3.1.2 firmware

DSCN0586.JPG

20140307161659.log

20140307162622.log

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I just installed a Pixhawk and didn't mess with any of the tuning parameters and it is amazing. It's super stable and it floats on a dime in Loiter/Position Hold. It's truly amazing and I'm coming from having a NAZA before this. NAZA is a 'toy' compared to the capabilities of the software and the Pixhawk hardware. I got so board of flying the NAZA (I'm selling my NAZA Lite if you're interested PM me)  You should have an understanding of the fundamental aspects of what the parameters do... even with NAZA but most don't and do run into problems. With your quad it might even be the ESC's need to be calibrated. Are you using SimonK firmware on the ESCs?

This is with stock settings..

Find more videos like this on DIY Drones

• Hi John, 

I update the 1 post with more data. I use all stock from DJI f450 ARF kit. The Opto ESC can't be calibrated. The quad is flying but only problem is that woobling/ bout on water effect... 

• Looked your video. I'd say it's the ESC's are the problem. Might try Autotrim. Or get different ESC's.

I use the Qbrain 4 in 1 25A. Real simple.

• Couple other items. Test Alt Hold first before Loiter. AltHold needs to be close and working. This proves your copter is stable. Start in Stable mode, then switch to AltHold. If that works and your compass is right then Loiter should work. But be ready to switch back to Stable if Loiter starts to fly off.

There are videos on YoutTube how to setup your flight modes. You need to verify these modes work in Mission Planner using the switches. Also you can put your copter in a jig with bungie cords to test if thrust tries to level it. 

Here's mine doing RTL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xux9vEghjBQ

My 10 year old boy was flying it!

YouTube
  • Thomas, if you could provide some additional specs such as props used, motors, ESCs', pictures of your setup even that would be a good start.  Let someone here look over how you have everything set up, then go from there.  Take some quick snapshots and post them.  Pull some logs and post those as well.  I am sure that there are viable solution to whatever problems you are having, just post more info.  

As for the difference between the APM and Naza in regards to auto tune it all boils down to firmware and the actual micro that's running it.  I

Naza= LPC176x series ARM Cortex-M3 MCUs 64KB SRAM,  512KB flash, 100+MHz, 

APM= ATmega2560 8KB SRAM, 256KB flash, 4KB EEPROM, 16Mhz

Pixhawk= 32bit STM32F427 Cortex M4 256KB RAM, 2 MB Flash, 168MHz

I have always thought it impressive at what the APM's 8bit micro could do in comparison to more expensive 32bit controllers.  I think that is the true testament to just what the devs and community as a whole here have accomplished.  

• I've add the update with first post with more data...

• new pixhawk will killing all dji products!!!!

once all the code will be optimizate for this powerful processor, it will be the end for dji and others...

for now,my dji lite is not as good as my apm 2.5 for gps mode..but some things is better on my dji like loiter during fast translation..

• "The end?" - Gosh, I hope not.  

Competition, sharing of ideas, and a huge variety of products is what has made this field grow so fast.  The day anybody contributing to multi-rotor design comes to and "end" will be a sad day. Especially if it's a company that really has contributed engineering-wise and business-wise.  Let's hope they ALL keep moving forward.

• This sounds basic but have you checked motor direction and props are correct? I recently went through my 3rd APM build and couldn't work out why it was oscillating so badly. Turned out I had the motors spinning the wrong way and props on to match. Still flew, but terribly! The stock pids on a 450 frame should fly super smooth. Good luck but start with the basics, tuning shouldn't really come into it until the end.

This reply was deleted.